Go Bottom

Old Tractors new gas

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-12-09          158481

Seems that the old Allis needs a bowl cleaning every time I mow now. Generally quits after about an hour or so. Hopefully the tank and lines will be cleaned soon enough by the E-10 since I dislike jumping off in the middle of the poison ivy to do engine work.

Anyone else having this issue?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Old Tractors new gas

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-12-09          158483

You're cutting grass--NOW? We have snow and 20-something temps. ....

Old Tractors new gas

View my Photos
cutter

2008-12-09          158485

I use it only for a field mower, expected to get out one more time but the weather turned. ....

Old Tractors new gas

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-12-10          158487

The really light fluffy snow that you can sweep off the sidewalk with a broom is kinda fun to blow away with the lawn mower deck. You will get a few strange looks by passers by tho. Better get the Allis fired up you might want to mow a parking lot. ....

Old Tractors new gas

View my Photos
cutter

2008-12-10          158489

I saw a guy last winter plowing his driveway with the deck on his Cub Cadet. What an idiot. This was deep snow, not a dusting. ....

Old Tractors new gas

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-12-10          158490

Winter isn't all bad, no poison ivy and no bumble bees. ....

Old Tractors new gas

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-12-10          158492

Cutter,

You say that the bowl needs to be cleaned out with every usage, but you didn't explain what type of crud was in the bowl. Any idea what it is you're finding in the bowl?

Winter here in North Dakota isn't as bad as most people believe. 6 months without biting flies, mosquitos, ticks, etc.....ain't all bad. Not only that, but never once do we have to scrub any dead bugs off of our windshields.

Come about May, however, most locals will be crying for some warm weather......but for me.

Joel ....

Old Tractors new gas

View my Photos
cutter

2008-12-10          158493

Joel,

Seems it is a small amount of dark brown or blackish crud, I assume it is from the almost 50 year old fuel tank and lines being cleaned by the E-10. I have tried all the different additives, including Startron, which is supposed to break the pieces back down into the fuel. Doesn't work. ....

Old Tractors new gas

View my Photos
Murf

2008-12-10          158495

Any time I've had a problem like that I just undo the fuel line at the point as close as possible to the carb and stick in a cheap filter on some rubber hose.

Even if it's all steel lines it's easy to put a short piece of over-sized rubber line over the end and secure it. You may however need to buy a thread in barb fitting for the other end.

If it is going to be an ongoing issue it might even be worth cutting the line and putting in a more permanent filter.

I put a fuel filter from a boat on my old A-C after having very good luck with the same filters on the boat itself.

If you have more crud than that try a spin on type like those used for hydraulic fluid or motor oil.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   West Marine - Moeller Filter

Old Tractors new gas

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-12-10          158498

Cutter,

It might not be a bad idea to remove the fuel tank and then give it a good cleaning with mineral spirits, or parts washing fluid.

Old fuel tanks can contain a whole lot of debris, including dirt, dust, crop residue, dried fuels, rust, etc. It's not a bad idea to attack this problem at the source, rather than running that crud through the fuel system, and, of course, into the engine.

On many of the older tractors, removing the fuel tank is not difficult. I'm not sure about your particular tractor, but in most cases it's a very simple procedure, and well worth the time and effort to do it.

Have a good day.

Joel ....

Old Tractors new gas

View my Photos
cutter

2008-12-10          158506

Thanks guys. No, not a big deal to remove it but in theory, the e-10 is cleaning the tank. It looks clean inside, but I will take another peek with a mirror and a cigarette lighter :)

Murf, I do have a couple of old filter canisters from my boat, changed them over to the spin on type and already had a bunch of the cartridges. I may be able to make a temporary line directly off the tank bottom and run it to the bowl. That way I don't trash the original line (whole tractor is still original).

We were up in degrees last night and today with rain but now the snow is back.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login