Go Bottom

Weight Transfer System

View my Photos
pequeajim
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-28          15176

Since the Steiner and Ventrac both have the same type of weight transfer system, I was wondering if some of you guys could give a rundown as to when to use it, (like mowing), and when not? For instance, I am getting a lot of use out of my slip scoop right now. With a full load in the bucket, it puts a lot of weight on the front of the tractor. Now if I use the WTS, it can iliminate some of that, but forget about floating the scoop as it will just lift upwards when put into float.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Weight Transfer System

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-04-28          15190

The primary purpose of the weight transfer system is to increase traction and steering control when mowing on side-slopes and up-slopes. It does this by lifting up on the front attachment causing the vertical forces on the front wheels to dramatically increase and the vertical forces to decrease somewhat on the rear wheels. The net amount of additional down force on the tractor is equal to the amount of force tending to lift the mower at its pivot pins on the deck. If weight transfer is engaged when using the slip scoop, it increases the lift capacity and simultaneously INCREASES the forces on the front wheels. In doing so, the float capability (which is often very valuable for slip scoop operations) is lost. The Steiner 410, 420, and 430 do not have weight transfer capability. I use a set of external float springs on my 430 and mower deck to produce the same effect and it works beautifully. These float springs are the same as used for the Rotary Broom. ....

Weight Transfer System

View my Photos
pequeajim

2000-04-28          15191

So are there situations where I should be using the WTS while using the slip scoop, (say if I am not floating)?? ....

Weight Transfer System

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-04-28          15194

The only reason to use weight transfer with the scoop is if you need more brute strength to dig and carry a load heavier than you can do without it turned on. Then you may be limited by the amount of ballast on the rear of the tractor. ....

Weight Transfer System

View my Photos
Richard Harburn

2000-04-30          15241

Have only seen pictures of the Rotary Broom. Can you describe how you attach the float springs? My biggest problem when mowing on uneven slopes has to do with the mower being pushed into the uneven terrain. Lifting the mower to take off some down pressure makes it much easier to turn and steer the tractor. ....

Weight Transfer System

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-04-30          15242

Webmaster---how do I post photos with my message? The best answer to the question posed in this post is a photograph, but I don't know how to do it. ....

Weight Transfer System

View my Photos
pequeajim

2000-04-30          15246

Jack:

You can post a picture by referencing a link which is provided when you reply to a message. You will however need to have a web site which hosts the picture. There are several available, or you can use the site I will be putting up, www.turftractor.com. In the field labeled "Picture/Image URL:" you will need to enter "http://www.turftractor.com/" of course this is without the <>. Just email me the pic file, and remember the complete filename, and I will put it in the web directory. You will then need to reference it in the way that I just outlined for you. ....

Weight Transfer System

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-05-03          15413

This is a photo of my Steiner 430 and 60 inch deck. The 2 front springs serve as a weight transfer system to increase traction and steering control on steep slopes. The bracket on the tractor, springs, and chains are from the Steiner Rotary Broom. Two small tabs were welded to the mower arms for attaching the chains. Operate by setting front lift in float positon so deck follows ground contours. Works beautifully! ....

Picture Link

Weight Transfer System

View my Photos
pequeajim

2000-05-03          15414

Jack:

I have posted a reply with the correct link. The one that you had posted had a space before the filename. ....

Link:   Steiner With Weight Transfer System

Picture Link

Weight Transfer System

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-05-04          15436

Photos of Steiner 430 with 60 inch deck mowing 26 degree slope. ....

Picture Link

Weight Transfer System

View my Photos
pequeajim

2000-05-06          16012

Jack, how much weight do you have on the back of your tractor? ....

Weight Transfer System

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-05-06          16014

The weight bar on the back of a Steiner will hold up to 6 suitcase weights, and each weighs 55 pounds. Most of the time I run with 4. ....

Weight Transfer System

View my Photos
pequeajim

2000-05-08          16082

I notice that when I am cutting on the hill, that the front left side of my deck wants to stay up in the air. This is the side opposite of the slope, (high side). It will ride up around an inch or two. I also notice that the deck tends to float when coming off of a bump at a higher speed when cutting. This will leave a high spot that I can see on the next pass. It's almost like the weight transfer spring are holding the deck up with too much force. Is it possible to use one spring instead of two? Is this damaging to the one spring, and if I should do this, which one should I use? Does it matter? ....

Weight Transfer System

View my Photos
G in Ohio

2000-05-09          16127

Only VENTRAC has a weight transfer system for the all-wheel-drives. It is a standand feature. Either or both springs can be engaged by the selector levers. If there is too much "lift" either spring can be disengaged. Some operators prefer less lift in order for the rear deck roller to make a more prominent "stripe" effect on the grass. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login