Go Bottom

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
Matt Dewalt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-23          16548

I am considering becoming a dealer of articulated tractors. So far I've been reading literature and trying out units from the various manufacturers. I would like to hear from you, the consumer. What would you like to see in a dealer? What are your dislikes about dealers you have dealt with? What sells you the most? Price? Service? Brand carried? I am a current owner of a compact tractor that was bought from a dealer. The experience was OK, but not perfect. I just became fascinated with these articulated tractors, so I decided to find out more. Upon driving a few this past weekend, I became hooked. So, I'm 90% sure that I will take on a dealership. I figure if I'm going to do it, I might as well do it right. That's why I'm seeking as much info., good or bad, as possible. Thanks for your imput.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
Jack in IL

2000-05-23          16550

Matt---where are you located? Are you already a dealer in related products? ....

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
Matt Dewalt

2000-05-23          16551

Jack, I am located in Easton, PA, about an hour North of Philadelphia. I currently am not in this line of business. My Dad owns a collision repair facility and I work for him. We were thinking of incorporating both businesses at the same location. ....

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2000-05-24          16578

IMHO, service after the sale is EVERYTHING! I will (and have) paid a couple of hundred dollars more on a large purchase to go with a dealer I know will be there when I need him/her. Good parts inventory, competent mechanics, desire to see that the customer is satisfied are qualities that I look for in a dealer. The willingness to go the extra mile is a lot more important to me than saving a few bucks on the purchase price. ....

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
Matt Dewalt

2000-05-28          16753

Just bringing this topic back to the top of the list to see if there's any more interest. ....

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
Steve in Buffalo NY

2000-05-29          16760

Sure, that's something I'd enjoy _IF_ I had the resources to do it properly. Like a proper facility. Like some good quality mechanics. Like a decent inventory of parts and supplies. There's nothing worse than a "half fast" dealer and as a group we know how fast that poor reputation can travel! ....

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
pequeajim

2000-06-16          17250

Well, I bught my Ventrac from one of three dealers that I was considering because of his service oriented attitude. It has helped me understand all of the tasks that these little workhourses can do and how I should be running them too.

I am located in New Holland, PA (tractor city), and get a bit of ribbing from my neighbors, (most of whom work for New Holland), but that didn't stop them all from trying my little articulated tractor out, and the one Massey owner down the street is now considering buying a Ventrac too. Seems he doesn't like mowing on steep hills any more than I did. ....

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
Matt Smith

2000-06-29          17558

Matt,
I grew up in Dalton about 500 yards away from Steiner corp. and was a neighber to one of the Steiner brothers that started the Steiner tractors. I have had the privilage of watching them evolve from the maintenance nightmare to the fine machines they are today. I am a proud owner of a Steiner 430 max and I love it. I also know the inside scoop on the sale of Steiner corp. and the start of Ventrac. When Steiner was sold the brothers that sold it signed a contract stating they would never start another business that competed with Steiner because of the knowledge they obtained (plus the millions of dollars)...well about 8-10 years later they started Ventrac with the millions they sold Steiner for. They started by catering to the handicap and made an effort to look innocent to the people of our area. Well law suits still abound here in Dalton and needless to say we spit every time we mention brand x. So as long as you sell outside the Dalton,Ohio area you should be o.k. with the Ventracs, but some of us won't even look at brand x for the principle of it all (plus I think the steel they use is thinner). On the flip side it has created a wonderful competition between the brands and ultimatly will probably be good for the consumer. I know Steiner has a corner on the market and probably will for a long time due to long term relationships and a lot larger variety of tractors and attatchments.

Good luck to you,
Matt ....

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
Matt Dewalt

2000-06-29          17566

Matt, thanks for your comments. I've tried both brands and still haven't decided on which one to sell. I like the ergonomics of the Ventrac better; but Steiner makes it easier to become a dealer, has a more diverse product line, and is more well-known. I've just having fun doing demos on everything so far. Hopefully I'll make a decision by the end of next month. I'd still like to hear any pros and cons of both brands if anyone has any. Any comments at all would be greatly appreciated.

Matt ....

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
Ricky

2000-06-29          17568

My local Steiner Turf dealer says Steiner Turf is a very hard company to deal with. (Their always right - Your Wrong, kinda deal) But he has talked to a VENTRAC Dealer and he said Ventrac is Easy to deal with.

So if I were to become a dealer I'd become a Ventrac Dealer

Also he said the Steiner Family never got much money from Ransomes (Now Textron). Example: Ransomes Sued the Steiner Bros. cause of a design that they used.

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
Ricky

2000-06-29          17569

Also I think the Steiner bros. signed a contract not to build anything for 10 years. ....

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
Matt Smith

2000-06-30          17576

Ricky,
Either you work at Ventrac or your last name is steiner. Because I know all the guys at Mast-Leply (our local steiner dealer in Wayne County) and I know how they feel about ventrac:)(remember their jobs rely on sales of STEINERS) By the way did ventrac go so far as to copy the quick-attach on STEINER's to use the 20 something attachements that the STEINER has? Or did they redesign that and come up with their own idea? Just curious. Like I said before brand x is good for competition. ....

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
G in Ohio

2000-06-30          17583

My name is Glenn Steiner. I am a member of the family that sold the Steiner product line to Ransomes on January 18, 1988. My family and I each signed a 5 year non-compete agreement effective on that date. We had no plans nor made any commitments beyond January 18, 1993. There have been no lawsuits on product designs. The VENTRAC hitch mechanism is in the public domain. We still manufacture handicap-focused products and have no reason to use that to "look innocent" to our community. Please judge our integrity on the facts, check out our products at venturepro.com and contact us at 330-683-0075 to learn first hand how we are "to deal with." G in Ohio ....

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
pequeajim

2000-07-19          18087

Thanks you G. for the clarification. I wanted to ask you to speak up, but I did not know if you wanted those on the board to know your real name. When I started this topic area, it was for the purpose allowing the users of ALL articulated tractors to share information about the features, strengths, and weaknesses of the units that they own. That a high level employee such as yourself takes the time to read and participate in this board encourages me that you at least are trying to keep your "finger on the pulse" of what the end users want in your tractors. Keep up the good work. ....

Becoming A Dealer

View my Photos
Mike

2001-07-20          30267

This reply is to Ricky, I am the service manager at a Stiener dealer. I think that the people at Steiner are wonderful. When we get in a jam they ALWAYS help me out. ALWAYS. I have never experienced what your dealer is talking about. I cant speak for the other brand but becoming a Steiner dealer would be a good move. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login