Go Bottom

Impressions from a visit to Power Trac

View my Photos
Griff
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-10-08          32278

Visited the Power Trac facility on Oct 6. As for the overall, just look at anyone elses thread who has been there. Great place, well laid out, parts in stock, nice people etc etc. I would feel comfortable buying sight unseen if I had a good idea of just how to use the attachments, but since this is the first machine I will own that has this range of options, I needed the education. I'll be stopping back on another trip to take the Maintenance class they offer.My primary thought was 425 or 2422. Both are easy to run, feel solid etc. The ease of use of all the machines was incredible. My wife even jumped on the 2422 while I was playing on the 425 and got it muddy with no problems. Our bottom line - while a great machine, the 2422 is too much for our needs. Backhoe would be used some, but having to remount the rear hitch every time we used it would become anoying. I would most likely find ways to do things with the other attachments before resorting to the backhoe (even though it only would involve 4 bolts - I'm spoiled by the thought of the quick attach already). The height might be an issue in the wooded areas we want to develop, especially when adding the cannopy they are working on for the 2422. Also the 2422's weight would require that I get a new trailer to transport it. So... we are looking at the 425 or 422. It is really coming down to the availability of a Robbins dealer near me... in that case I would save the money (more likely buy an extra attachment)and go with the smaller engine. I've seen some other comments that due to the low wieght of the 425, even bar tread tires can't get enough traction to use all the HP. I had some of this with the 422 I test drove since it had just rained and I was working the big dirt pile they have that was all mud at the base. The wheels would lose traction if I went too fast or attempted to take too big a bite with the bucket.The biggest suprise / educational part of the trip was what you can do with the attachments. Between the capability of them and the quick attach, I eliminated some (or at least removed the tough decision of which to get/not get and keep it within the budget) and decided to add some others. This would not be much of an issue for someone who has the background/experience with many of the implements, but for a homeowner moving up from just a mowing machine, this alone made the trip worth while. With the projects we are planning, I doubt I'll need to rent anything (maybe an excavator - once). The only thing I found missing was the lack of fendors on the 422 combined with a muddy environment made me glad I had packed an extra pair of pants for the trip. Maybe I could mount a pair like are on the 2422, maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to modify it....Will be ordering by the end of the week once I know more about the engine dealer. I'm figuring the only real downside to getting the power trac is the number of people who are going to have questions and what to check it out once they see me using it. Productivity may really fall off for a while....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Warren

2001-10-08          32294

Do they have a web site?
I think I never heard of the power trac. Who makes them?
Any infor would be appreciated.
Thanks Warren ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-10-08          32295

Warren, Power-trac does have a web site; just www.power-trac.com or click on the link below. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-10-08          32301

Griff, my hat is off to you for taking the time to have a look at a non-traditional type of tractor. I did the same, looking at Swinger hydrostatic center-articulated gas machines similar to the Power Trac, then at Struck-Dalco, then drove that little Case that is so similar to both the Ingersol and the Terramite, and even drove some kind of 4wd logging machine with belt driven wheels at each corner....now I don't even remember what it was called. The last thing I did was to go to the Ford and Kubota dealers and drive some of their compact tractors as well. Lots of fun! Every dealer I stopped to see was eager to set me on a machine and point me toward their local dirt pile with instructions to enjoy myself.
After trying mots of things, I found out that I liked extra low gearing, front end loaders, big diameter tires, slow-turning engines, and the best 3pt hitch I could get.
Roger Loving

View my Photos
KC

2001-10-27          32700

How was the stability of the 2422? How well did the backhoe work? Did it have enough power? How was the stability while using the backhoe?
KC

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-10-30          32761

The tractor industry is big, there are seats out there for everyone. Some people do tend to get wound up by a good sales presentation which is exactly what it is supposed to do. A buyer should check out all options before buying. They should look at resale as a part of buying. I've seen things custom built and after the people have it find it is to limiting. When purchasing sometimes we get blinded and don't look at the long haul. ....

View my Photos
Griff

2001-10-30          32770

KC - for the time I spent on it, the 2422 didn't give me any problems, however, it was a relatively flat area. I'm sure it is not as stable as the 422 I bought since the COG is higher (you sit above the engine). I don't have the frame of reference to compare it to a JD, Kubota etc. Sorry, but I can't help you on this one. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login