Go Bottom

Choosing a Tractor Backhoe

View my Photos
Joseph
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-11-06          32994

As an Owner/Builder and recently my projects have been getting larger. I am realizing that I need a small tractor that will have a loader/backhoe/tiller/scraper...... I am finding that I like the B21 and L35 Kubota tractors. Would anyone know what the John Deere equivalents would be to these. I would also like to know how they compare in price and some information on the pros and cons to each.Thanks,Joseph

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
By the Brook Farm

2001-11-06          32996

I have a JD4600 W/48 hoe. Looked at the L-35 and liked it, but would have to spend a few grand more and didn't think it was worth it. The B-21 isn't in the same league as either one of these, that is a tiny machine. I like the new L-48 a lot, and if I had 40K laying around I would pick one up. I do mostly new construction, lot clearing and digging. My JD has never let me down, but it isn't as purpose built or designed for construction work as much as the L-35 or L-48 is. The big JDs and Kubota are both real nice machines, I can't imagine you would be disappointed with either one. Make sure the B-21 is heavy enough for you though since it does look like a toy next to these big boys.. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-11-06          33002

Joseph, I have a feeling that you fit the profile of the typical compact tractor owner even better than you know. A few of the guys here are farmers, but most of us seem to be more of the project-oriented type of guys. Like you, I view my compact tractor more as a construction tool than as an agricultural machine.
Whichever you get, it will be even more handy than you can imagine. The dedicated construction machines are extremely impressive, but even the little 20 horse tractors can do more work than half a dozen guys going full speed with shovels and wheelbarrows. Whatever you get, don't let anyone talk you out of a loader and powersteering. Then put something on the back for counterbalance - We would all like for the counterbalance to be a backhoe, but a four foot box scraper with a couple of hundred pound bags of sand on top of it for more weight works just fine too.

View my Photos
TomG

2001-11-07          33005

I'd think through carefully what the tractor will do between projects. Tractors are expensive and it's good to keep them busy. There's may be a tendency to look at a project and evaluate tractors in terms of 'will it do this project.' Trouble is that the project may be a one-timer and the tractor ends up being too big for routine work. I'd keep in mind that power and maneuverability are both needed to work with a tractor, and power and maneuverability are opposites. More of one means less of the other, and a lot of routine work can use maneuverability more than power. In addition, time can be traded for power. Small tractors can do most things larger ones can, but it just takes longer. However, backhoes are an exception--eg. they either can trench below frost level or they can't (without terracing the hole I guess). Similarly, big tractors can go most places small ones can--takes longer though. I figure there's no such thing as a 'one size fits all' tractor. Mine is best for the middle-sized work I do. I mow lawns with a riding mower and contract out at least 10% of the larger work. There's still plenty of routine work for the tractor to do. ....

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2001-11-07          33007

There is no equivalents to the 21 and 35. They are both purpose built, heavy duty machines designed to run a backhoe every day. You could put a backhoe on a JD and it would probably be fine, but if you use it constantly, it probably won't hold up like the Kubotas. However, the JD will do the other chores better. Buy a nice 30hp, 4wd compact and a used case 580 and you will have the best of both worlds. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-11-07          33011

As Rob said there is no comparison to the Kubota B-21,L-35 and L-48. They are currently the only company that goes to the extent to build a (mini-pro)line of loader backhoe's. The other companies are talking and I believe want to enter this unique market place but so far have not come close. Look at the hydraulics, the frame, the sheet metal, it's all built in, no add on's to make it look tough, they are.
9 ....

View my Photos
Jim

2001-11-09          33072

I have to agree with Art, no other company offers an equivalent to the B21,L35,L48. For that matter, The other companies don't even build their own tractor. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login