Go Bottom

RTV 900 Dream Engine

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-26          102949

Click on the link and scroll down to the D 1105-T-E

It appears to be the same physical size as the current RTV engine but it produces 50 percent more horsepower.

Hello, Kubota?

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

RTV 900 Dream Engine

View my Photos
Archdean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-26          102956

It is also turbocharged (something you really want to contend with?) ....

RTV 900 Dream Engine

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-26          102963

Living a mile above sea level does cause ones mind to wander in strange places.

I would settle for a normally aspirated 30 horse engine. ....

RTV 900 Dream Engine

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-26          102975

What would that type of option be worth? ....

RTV 900 Dream Engine

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-12-26          102980

little to none for me but I'm now a transplanted Flatlander! ....

RTV 900 Dream Engine

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-26          103003

What's it worth?

That begs another question. I have never understood why an engine with a larger cylinder bore, and all else equal, costs more than the smaller displacement version. I can't see where it would cost more to manufacture, given it has the same number of parts and uses the same block of steel to start with.....

That said, and mindful that we are starting with a $10K machine, I would guess $1500 more for a normally aspirated 30 horse engine and maybe $1000 more to that for the turbo.

I am making the assumption here that the N/O 30 HP engine would be a 4 cylinder and the turbo 30 HP would be a 3 cylinder.

What do you think, Art? ....

RTV 900 Dream Engine

View my Photos
BrendonN
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-27          103013

Your engine cost comment makes me think of when the company I work for raised the horsepower level of one of the machines we build. This machine had a Cummins 5.9L and went up by 13 hp. The ONLY difference was the setting of the fuel pump. But, we had to pay quite a bit more for the engine. Cummins (and other engine OEMs) sell horsepower, not cubic inches. Within a given engine family, you pay XX dollars per horsepower, even if the mechanicals are the same. Of course, there are other costs associated with increased horsepower like upgraded cooling systems, stronger drivetrains, etc, that also raise the price to the end customer. ....

RTV 900 Dream Engine

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-27          103019

I think your pricing is about right taking into account you just have to pay more for horsepower anyway you look at it. Kubota builds conservatively the same way they rate there stuff. I would think it would be interesting to find one with about 300 or 400 hours on it to see what it would do after the break-in is beginning to take affect. I will make no garuntee that Kubota would even consider it but your dollar amounts would be right and the four cylinder would be out for room. ....

RTV 900 Dream Engine

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-27          103027

I finally dug out my old flying gear and ran some numbers. Here is what I came up with, keep in mind the numbers apply to any normally aspirated engine:

My land is just about 5000 feet above sea level. In fact, the entire state of Nevada has an average elevation of 5000 feet, and it get to 100+ degrees every summer.

Under those conditions, the density altitude.... the density of the air that you and the engine are breathing..... is the equivalent of 10,000 feet on a standard day. And that is just where I start. Everywhere I want to go is uphill from there.

So what does that mean? It means that my RTV is only making about 70% of its rated HP on such a day. I am running on less than 15 horse power, and that is just around the house. If I hit a back-country pass on a hot day I am climbing some serious grades with 13 HP available.

Yes. I said 13 horse power.

Any wonder why I have to downshift a lot? ....

RTV 900 Dream Engine

View my Photos
monkeyman

2005-01-01          103269

well can you add a turbo to the stock motor? ....

RTV 900 Dream Engine

View my Photos
Art White

2005-01-02          103288

With the computer age to assist with design I would question the design of any engine for that modification. It would be a shame to find out after that you need additional cooling for the pistons which is often done by oil under pressure from the bottom. Or to find out that the head or the gasket is not build secure enough to hold the boost from the turbo. I don't mind a one time o-ring job but to have to do a new head gasket yearly or every two hundred hours I'd not consider acceptable. ....

RTV 900 Dream Engine

View my Photos
jakfrost

2005-01-02          103298

Hi everyone, Sorry, I had posted this on the 'owning,buying' board before I noticed this one... nice to find a 'dedicated' Kubota board. Love my L35 (glide shift) after the upgrade from the B21. Whole different class of unit! So much so I sold the ATV and bought an RTV 900. Couple of issues with the RTV... 1st, has anyone heard of a way to upgrade the front axle to a locking diff? I don't know how many times I have had to get out the winch line ( when there was something to winch too...) cause one front wheel was dangling in midair, and of course, spinning. 2nd, has anyone tried to increase the traction on ice by using something like short hex head wood screws in the lugs of the tires. Sort of a 'do it yurself' stud job.I have the 'worksite model with the heavy lugs. Or is there a neater solution out there? Had lots of fun inventing stuff to cut down on the cold air inputs to the cab if anyone wants some ideas. Had a great hunting trip in New Brunswick with it! How about an upgrade on power...could use a little in the snow. Blower kits? As in turbocharging...ops sorry again, just saw the post about 'dream engine'.
Jak ....

RTV 900 Dream Engine

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-02          103315

Hey DR: How about a turbo-normalizer?

This is a turbo set up to give only enough boost to make sea-level pressure in the manifold. This should not put any more stress on the motor than running at sea-level altitude. Definitely need to add a boost gage and a pyrometer (EGT). ....

RTV 900 Dream Engine

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-03          103345

That would at least get me back to the rated horsepower. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login