Go Bottom

Extended warranties on cars and trucks

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-19          154711

The conventional wisdom on automotive extended warranties is that they usually aren't worth the cost. And although I totally agree with that logic we always buy an extended warranty anyway and have never lost money on one. We buy them sort of as an insurance policy - pay the known cost up front rather than face uncertainty and possible large expenses later.

Ford Taurus SHO - repeated electrical problems with windows and mirrors, A/C problems, broken trunk latch (required rewelding of latch and paint), rear brakes a constant problem, thousands of dollars in repairs after the factory warranty expired.

Ford Ranger - with a few hundred miles left on the extended warranty both heads had to be replaced on the engine. The repair bill would have been around $500 more than the cost of the warranty.

Toyota Highlander - One month after the factory warranty expired the HVAC control panel had to be replaced - $800 for the part plus labor. We paid that $800 for the warranty so it's a wash at worst.

I'm curious how many of you have purchased the extended warranty and not needed it vs. needing it and not having it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-20          154719

Kw; Sounds like you did a good job of research before you bought the extended warranty policy. One of our kids had a rather bad experience with one a few years ago. The fault lay on both ends, the daughter failed to do her research before buying, and the insurance company was operating real close to the line far as state insurance regulations were concerned. I've never had one on a car or pickup, but one time did buy one on a Sears water softener, it paid off big time on that piece of junk. Frank. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-20          154720

I never have purchased the extended warranties. On my automobiles, a few things have gone wrong but never enough cost to justify the up-front output, plus the problems have always been very minor. My vehicles are always been Ford, GM and Chrysler. Chrysler has an unlimited drive train warranty on their new vehicles for the original purchaser.

With regard to extended warranties on electronics and appliances, it is never worth it. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-06-20          154724

Yooper that warranty doesn't cover diesel trucks.

I have an '03 Ram quad cab, 4x4, automatic, H.O. diesel that I bought the extended warranty on for about $1200 plus interest. It covers car rental too while repairs are being done. I'd say I have gotten about $10,000 or more in repairs done including a new trans last month. Murphy's Law says that just when you don't have insurnace---youi need it. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-06-20          154725

Frank, we must have had the same Sears water heater :)

We don't buy extended warranties on electronics or small appliances. We did buy one on our WaterFurnace heatpump. That's a total piece of junk and the warranty has paid off four fold (new ground loop pumps, thermal expansion valve, burned up control relays, zone control panel, and a ground loop leak).

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-06-20          154736

Insurance is a money-maker for the seller (which explains the push), not leaving much left over to pay claims, so you might want to ask:

Will the insurer be there when you have a claim? If so, will the items claimed be covered? If not, will you have to accept the insurer's decision or will there be an appeals process? Will there be a deductable or a ceiling on claims? If you get, say, a new engine just before expiry, and it fails, what would be the coverage if any?
If you invested the cost of the coverage, what would it be worth by the end of the period?

In short, get a copy of the actual policy and study it before deciding. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-06-20          154738

Auerbach, I buy my extended warranties for my trucks through the dealer selling manufacturer-sponsored palns. That way I can bitc..errrr...complain right up the chain of command if there is a problem, and I don't have to worry about them skipping town as easy as a fly-by-nite company. As far as the cost versus what you get from what's left after the dealer takes his cut, that shouldn't be a concern. Like any insurance policy there is no realist connection between what you pay and your claim cost. The premiums we pay go into a big kitty from which the insurance companies invest those preminum dollars to make mor money and cover claims. And the deductible goes toward associated fees and costs. Similar industries are medical insurance and home owners insurance. A dealer freind of mine sold me my policy for their cost--he showed me the mark-up sheet---they mark it up 100%---so there is a lot of "fat" in the price when it comes to negotiating the final cost. And even if the dealer makes nothing on the paln itself he stands to gain on warranty service claims. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-06-20          154742

Like EW, I only buy extended warranties that have the manufacturers name on the (Ford ESP, Toyota ESP, etc.). They will negotiate like crazy on those plans too - on my last Toyota they were asking like $1500 for it and I ended up buying the extended warranty from a different dealer for half that. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2008-06-21          154768

Having been in the car business for a time, I would say your best bet is to buy the warranty and to negotiate the cost. Huge markup in MOST of them. Subaru seems to be lower in cost and refunds the price it you don't use it.

Realistically, it is a coin toss as to whether or not you will need the thing but as already stated, it is like insurance. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-06-21          154769

As far as the price goes, there is a direct correlation between the price and how confident the manufacturer is with the product---the higher the price and the less the coverage is a good (err...bad?) indicator that they really don't have confidence in the product which could be based on initial design parameters (like purposely not heat-treating tie rod ends---"sorry not covered"), actual field testing, actual testing data, and more importantly real-world test data-- otherwise known as "you the customer who complains about a failure". I know from a 10-year stint as an automotive service engineer/technical writer/illustrator that Engineering inherently blames Manufacturing who then blames Warranty. All have deadlines and budgets to meet. When that doesn't happen, all hell breaks loose and somebody has to take the blame. By then Management has changed, and engineers have moved on to another project, Manfacturing is building something new. Warranty gets left holding the bag. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-22          154772

There is really only one reason the auto makers, appliance makers, tool makers, etc. push this product to the point that I will walk out if they don't shut up about it, and that is that it is highly profiable to them or they would'nt badger you about it to the point of making me walk out. My normal response to their blabber about how I cannot live without this protection is, "I came here to buy a car/refrigerator/table saw/whatever, if your product is so poor that it won't last beyond the normal warranty then I don't want it in the first place." I mentioned in a prior post on this thread about once buying a warranty on a Sears water softener tha paid off big for us, that is the only product warranty I've ever bought. Probably fifteen years or so ago I read somewhere that Sears's biggest income producer was intrest on their credit cards, second was product warrantys, third was reatil sales. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-06-23          154779

May not be true but my understanding is car dealers make as much or more on the financing and warranty as they do the auto.

Hardwood, I agree with you on the quality of the product. kt ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-06-23          154783

It's NOT a fair coin-toss. It's NOT a group deciding to all contribute to protect anyone who loses everything from a lightning strike.

It's a scientifically calculated profit-maker. The insurers are the experts in what is likely to fail when; their lawyers are the experts in protecting their clients, not their clients' customers. And they are the experts in marketing this coverage, which is designed to protect what doesn't need protection and vice versa. (Never covers "normal wear" or "misuse" or "failures related to maintenance for which there is no proof of having been performed at an authorized dealer" or whatever.)

Not buying this insurance is not going without protection. Say it gives coverage for five years. Without it, you have factory coverage for, say, three years. Suppose it costs $1000. By the time the coverage period is well in effect, that might be worth $1500 (depending on whether you'd have to borrow it, or if not, on your investment skills or luck). Thus, you have around $1500 of self-insurance, which if you don't use, you simply keep. No claim forms, no arguments, no exclusions. Isn't that the best kind? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-06-23          154786

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 154783
It's NOT a fair coin-toss. It's NOT a group deciding to all contribute to protect anyone who loses everything from a lightning strike.It's a scientifically calculated profit-maker. The insurers are the experts in what is likely to fail when; their lawyers are the experts in protecting their clients, not their clients' customers. And they are the experts in marketing this coverage, which is designed to protect what doesn't need protection and vice versa. (Never covers "normal wear" or "misuse" or "failures related to maintenance for which there is no proof of having been performed at an authorized dealer" or whatever.) Not buying this insurance is not going without protection. Say it gives coverage for five years. Without it, you have factory coverage for, say, three years. Suppose it costs $1000. By the time the coverage period is well in effect, that might be worth $1500 (depending on whether you'd have to borrow it, or if not, on your investment skills or luck). Thus, you have around $1500 of self-insurance, which if you don't use, you simply keep. No claim forms, no arguments, no exclusions. Isn't that the best kind?

Like I said, the logic that extended warranties are generally bad for the consumer is sound. Yet we usually buy them on vehicles and they have always paid for themselves for us.

BTW, it's not always true that extended warranties don't cover "wear and tear" items. I was looking at Subaru's factory extended warranty and it does cover wear items like clutches and brake pads. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login