Go Bottom

0W20 Oil is it too light weight

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-12-15          191638

I changed the oil on my Subaru XV Crosstrek last week and I guess it was the first car that I have done with 0W20 oil. The others were 5W20.

I did warm it up before doing it and it came out like a gusher, it went all over the place it emptied so fast. I found it hard to believe that 5W20 seemed so much thicker and slower by comparison. This stuff is more like water even lighter than Kubota Super UDT hydraulic fluid.

You have to wonder how the seals can retain this stuff. Has it gotten crazy light weight?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-12-15          191639

The oil came out so fast, the velocity of it hitting my hand and its lightness made it splash all over the place. The oil pan / container I have been using for years was sorely inadequate as the drain whole was too small to take the volume of oil that was coming out and risked over flowing. Probably get a plan old dispan for the next change. ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
cutter

2014-12-16          191653

I did exactly the same thing this weekend on her Outback. Before I began I had warmed the engine, placed cardboard down in expectation of some poor aim as well. That oil shot out as though under pressure but fortunately most of it went onto the cardboard, all but perhaps half a cup. I know next time to move the oil tray more to the leeward side of the drain hole. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-12-18          191669

By chance is the oil system under pressure from running the engine? kt ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-12-18          191671

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 191669
By chance is the oil system under pressure from running the engine? kt

That sure is the way it comes out. Dont't know if that is a boxer engine thing or not.

The drain bolt is mounted on an angle so it shoots out to the side instead of down. But the stuff is insanely thin like water. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login