Go Bottom

250as fuel leak

View my Photos
Mike12
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-11-18          185506

Hoping you guys can help. Just got a 92 250as with 200hrs on it. Starts and runs nice but the fuel pump leaks from the center top thimble type cover. Looking at the pump there are 2 lines that go up to the filters on the left and to the right of them roughly centered is a small cap where fuel is leaking. The previous owner apparently ran it like this for some time as the pump is filthy but the rest of the tractor is quite clean. Can I remove this "cap" and repair this? This is my first diesel of any type so please forgive my idiotness here.
Mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

250as fuel leak

View my Photos
Mike12

2012-11-18          185507

This small cover has a flathead screw in front of and behind it when viewed from the side of the tractor. Can I remove this and replace an o-ring or gasket? ....

250as fuel leak

View my Photos
Mike12

2012-11-19          185513

Have learned that the fuel is coming out of the fill plug/breather on the fuel pump. Any ideas what would cause this, I'm completely new to diesels.
Mike ....

250as fuel leak

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-11-19          185515

Mike, first off, welcome to our little slice of the Internet!!!!

It sounds like the diaghram in your fuel pump has developed a leak. Any good diesel pump shop should be able to replace it for you.

Best of luck. ....

250as fuel leak

View my Photos
Mike12

2012-11-20          185516

Thank you!
Now to remove the pump and find a local shop.
Thanks again
One more question, it was apparently run like this for quite a while was this bad for the motor and should I keep my eye on anything else.
Mike ....

250as fuel leak

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-11-21          185520

Anytime you have a fuel leak like that the first thing you should do is make sure the fuel didn't make it's way into the oil pan.

If it got into the oil it would thin it out to the point of being nearly useless as a lubricant.

Best of luck. ....

250as fuel leak

View my Photos
Mike12

2012-11-21          185524

Ok, just checked the oil it seems ok but going to change it out anyway. Cheap insurance! Thanks for the tip. Is the diaphram in fuel pump difficult to get to? Tried a diesel shop today and when I told them what it was from they weren't interested in touching it. Damn thing starts and runs so nice, have to get past this problem. If I remove the 2 flat head screws on either side of the plug/breather will that give me access to the diaphram? Is there a schematic available anywhere online for the pump? ....

250as fuel leak

View my Photos
Mike12

2012-11-27          185558

Changed oil in engine and fuel pump. Pump was full of diesel. Pump no longer leaks at all. Have put about 3hrs on it with no leaking. Read online that these pumps tend to fill with diesel over time and need to be drained every so often. So far so good.
Now to find some weights for the rear so I can get some traction.
Mike ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login