Go Bottom

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
ronald65
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-11-30          137474

I have a heck of a time connecting my mower driveshaft.
Woods Brushbull 720 to my Kubota L4630. you have to pull back on the lockring while pushing the PTO Coupling onto the PTO shaft while holding the whole thing with one hand I wrote to the woods company and told them to have one of their design engineers hook one up a half dozen times then change it to a push/pull coupling like the Hydraulic breakaways, or to go back to the push button arangement like the old ones used. does anyone have a better solution?? Ron

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-11-30          137475

Ron; I still like the old push botton style myself, thay are prety much a one hand operation. Most any farm store would likely have a push botton style yolk that would replace the one you have. Sometimes I back up within about 6 inches of connecting the three point to the mower then slide the shaft on the PTO before backing up to attach the mower, that gives you a bit more working room. Frank. ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
ronald65

2006-11-30          137477

Thanks Frank, I'll try that,I put a Quick hitch on,but that did,t help much.maybe when I get some hours on the mower,it'll turn easier to align splines.Ron ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-30          137478

The trick is to get the PTO on the shaft first. You can normally get it on about 3/4 of an inch before you get to the locking balls. Once you have it on that far it is easy to pull the ring back with one hand and push the shaft on with the other. ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-30          137480

I agree with the other guys. And when removing it, simply leave the shaft attached, disconnect the 3pt, drive ahead just enough that the shaft doesn't come apart and disconnect (not a big deal if it does but you'll need to wipe clean both mating ends) . ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-01          137490

A little or lot of grease on the shaft helps. ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
ronald65

2006-12-03          137538

Taking it off has never been a problem because I can pull the lockring back to release the balls and just keep pulling. Can do it with one hand even. Ron ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
harvey

2006-12-03          137539

Getting the splines to match up is the biggest problem. I have the shields removed from my mower so I am able to turn the pulleys with my foot.

The shields are removed to faciliate cleaning.

You can also aling the splines by SHUTTING OFF the tractor and move your engagement lever just far enough to release the brake yet not engage the clutch. You can turn the tractor shaft by hand.

Harvey ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
Murf

2006-12-04          137551

Tip o' the week time again.

There are 3 important factors to making a bush hog, or nearly any PTO-driven implement for that matter, to hook up easily.

First, and the biggest IMHO, never set the implement on the ground to hook / unhook. Aside from the fact that leaving something on the ground encourages rust, etc., it also makes it nearly impossible to turn the shaft. Get (or make) some pieces of big square timber. We use the scraps cut off the tops of new guard rail posts, 12" x 12" pressure-treated about 18" long. Set 3 or 4 down such that they support the edges of the case or frame, leaving the blades to spin feeely in the air. This also makes hitching easier if the arms are close to level.

Secondly, keep the PTO shaft as clean and well-lubricated as you can. This will keep the extension / retraction as easy as possible.

Third, try to do all this hooking / unhooking on as flat & level a spot as you can find. If the tractor is not level, let alone inline with the implement you are just making it harder on yourself.

Best of luck. ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-12-04          137565

I have the ring type lock system on my JD midmount PTO. I have found that if you use compressed air for cleaning and a light lubricating oil (instead of grease) the ring is much easier to (dis)engauge, the air blows out any particulate matter the grease would otherwise retain. ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-12-04          137571

Murf: I kind of do the same as you with the blocks under the edge of the rotary mower decks, etc. only I use some 6X6 pole barn cut offs about a foot long. Not to be a smart A-- or anything but how do you wrestle 12X12X18 cresote blocks around, do you have a resident Gorilla? Frank. ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-05          137587

HW, the men are men in Murf's world. Not soft like some of us (me).

HW and Murf, good idea on the blocks.

AB, oil and air? Will try. Found leaf blower best way to sweep my shop, just wear eye protection. Maybe dust mask also. ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-12-05          137590

KT: Good news! They make a pill for that soft problem you have! ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
Murf

2006-12-05          137592

Frank, they are pressure treated spruce, they don't weigh much at all. Maybe 15 pounds?

Kenneth, I *used* to be a Gorilla, now I just get up to a little monkey business now & then.

EW, zing!!!! You're never got invited for Christmas dinner if you keep that up!! Mind you, that just means more for SG.... But I'm jis' sayin's all.......

Best of luck. ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-05          137594

Murf, just might invite EW for Christmas. Have not fried a turkey in a while! Have a big cast iron wash pot that will hold a lot.

On the gorilla, I vagly remember when fertlizer was in 200 pound bags, now 40 or 50 pounds.

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-12-05          137611

A wash pot? errr? We have these things now called washers and dryers. Really cool and are they time savers!

Kenny didn't you tell me once that your bathroom caught fire...but you put it out before it got to the house?

But I'm jis' sayin', knowhadamean?

What time's dinner again? I've heard that you're "having me" for dinner. Not sure what THAT'S all about... ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-05          137619

EW,
I had thought it would take a while to heat the wash pot but it seems you might be cooking your own goose and not need my help. I can toss in some Texas Pete if need be, that and a couple of onions should be sufficient. Or does there need to be nice shinny red apple gotten ready? ....

Hooking up Mower

View my Photos
pitt_md

2007-05-23          142384

I have a kabota MX5000 and a 6' brushhog with stump jumper and slip clutch. the PTO shaft on this unit is a dream to connect. Just start to slide it on the PTO shaft and when it stops twist the collar on the shaft to let it slide all the way on then pull back. It snaps the lock closed and your go to go. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login