Go Bottom

John Deere 5 cutter

View my Photos
bernieb
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-03-29          152536

My 15 year old John Deere 5' Cutter Mower has a grease leak at the splined input shaft. Appears there may be a exterior seal that needs replacement. Can anyone advise the replacement process? Thanks, Bernie

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere 5 cutter

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-03-29          152537

Bernie; Sometimes a leaky seal can mean a loose bearing directly behind it. Just clean the shaft and general aeria around the seal and pry it out with a screwdriver, then check the shaft for a loose bearing. If all is well just tap the new seal onto place. If you can see a part number on the old seal before you destroy it you can get one from Deere or any parts outlet tha handles seals, or a Deere dealer can look it up without the old one. Frank. ....

John Deere 5 cutter

View my Photos
bernieb

2008-03-31          152626

Thanks, Frank, I have ordered the part and will follow your replecment instructions. Bernie ....

John Deere 5 cutter

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-31          152629

Bernie, just as a follow up to Franks comments.

Over the years I've discovered that when a seal lets go like that, there's usually a reason. If the reason isn't addressed the new seal just leaks too.

Generally speaking, seals on mower gear boxes fail for just one cause, something like string, twine or even if enough long grass gets wound around the shaft it will do it.

Just be sure the shaft is clean, very smooth, and free of debris before you put the new seal on, and also that the shaft itself is clean and smooth, otherwise you may nick the new seal installing it over the shaft.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login