Go Bottom

Pto redo question

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-01          155749

If I buy a pto shaft (complete unit)that was ordered for a six foot KK brush cutter, will that shaft also fit a woods?
Thanks again

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Pto redo question

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-01          155751

Well, to start with - I wouldn't put a "plain" shaft on a six foot rotary cutter, no matter who makes it. I'd want a slip-clutch shaft. After that, it depends upon the compatibility between the Woods transmission input shaft and the KK transmission input shaft.

Plus, the transmissions might not be mounted the same distance away from the tractor's PTO spline. Meaning that if you want to rely on one common shaft for both cutters, it might be too long for one - or too short for the other.

Long story short - more info is required to come up with a definitive answer.

//greg// ....

Pto redo question

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-02          155752

I would think so, assuming the shaft is adjustable length. ....

Pto redo question

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2008-08-02          155767

The slip clutch is not in question here. KK uses a three lobed tube with their (that comes with) mowers. My woods has a 2 sided shaft. As for length, you cut the same amounts off each end if it is too long. The impliment end attaches to the slip clutch etc. I see no problem with the switch but was wondering if anyone has switched back and forth and has had no problems. Actually the three lobed shaft seems stronger than the woods two lobed.
I only ask since I ordered it and will need to take it with me 300 miles to try every thing out. When I do get there I need to put it into operation and since its out in the sticks just running to the tractor supply store is not an option.
Thank for the replys, you all have a great weekend! ....

Pto redo question

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-08-02          155772

Broken; There is probably a website somewherer that would tell you the horsepower ratings of the two lobe and three lobe shafts. If the KK comes with a three lobe shaft I wouldn't try running it with a two lobe one. Even the slightest twist or bend in one of those makes it junkyard bound. I'd have to go out to look to tell which it is, but some machine have has a standard six spline shaft on the gearbox the same as the tractor shaft. That really makes it handy to grease the "U" joint to just pull it off the gearbox and lay it across something for inspection and greaseing. Frank. ....

Pto redo question

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2008-08-05          155837

Frank
Remember when all the drive shafts were just a square tube shape? World class eh. ....

Pto redo question

View my Photos
Duster

2013-05-12          186935

My old 1976 15 foot bat wing Terrain King mower has a square tube PTO shaft and it works very well. Problem was when various manufactures were making square tube PTO shafts, parts from one would sometimes fit another of a different make. The manufacturers stopped this practice by making their shafts unique to their own models. No one elses parts would fit. Terrain King secured their parts in their early years by making everything in odd ball sizes,U joints and all, unique to their own equipment. By doing that, your forced to buy their parts at a much higher cost. PJ

Broken, You have two things to consider, 1, do the two different cutters take the same type shafts on the gear box? 2, What are you going to use it for, grasses or brush? Grasses are light duty and throw very little strain on the mower, brush is another story and a heavier duty PTO shaft should be used. A slip clutch or shier pin is recommended and one or the other should be used. You can buy a separate slip clutch to mate up to your gear box and shaft. I don't recommend buying a PTO shaft with the slip clutch on it. If the shaft goes bad, your out of both! $$$$. JMHO. PJ ....

Pto redo question

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-05-13          186956

Reading Agri Supply's site I understood the different shaft designs (of the shaft it self not the ends) was for different HP ratings. Is that just with the brand they carry? If memory is correct the three sided shafts I have are lighter weight then the square shafts are. Which are lighter rated shafts again if my memory is correct. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login