Go Bottom

Stability on Slopes

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-14          16269

Is a tractor really more stable on slopes with the front end loader attached and held low? I have 10 hilly and wooded acres to mow. I had a guy come in last year to do the mowing and get rid of most of the brush so now I have mainly grass and weeds to take care of this year. Even on the steep slopes he mowed across the slope but I don't feel very safe doing that on my B2400 Kubota, so I mow up and down. I've always kept the FEL on and lowered while mowing the pasture but for some reason I "feel" safer with it off and just the bush hog attached. Am I doing the right thing keeping the FEL on or does it really make any difference? I am willing to benefit from all the experience out there.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Stability on Slopes

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-14          16276

I don't know about all the physics involved, and I know some folks think if they have the front end loader on and the bucket low, ready to dig it into the ground if the tractor slides, etc., they are safer. I have serious doubts about it. Anyway, for what little it's worth, I take mine off. Like you, I mow up and down the hills and would rather not have the front end loader in the way. If a hill is steep enough for me to even think about whether it would be safer with the front end loader, then I back up the hill and go forward down it. ....

Stability on Slopes

View my Photos
TomG

2000-05-15          16283

There was a long discussion on this subject, I forget whether here or tractorbynet. The original subject was building a path. There also were related discussions about ballasting. Both archives should have a lot of information.

One piece of wisdom that I've never heard disputed is: If it doesn't feel right, then it probably isn't safe. Your sense of safety probably is a good guide.

One advantage of a loader is that a bucket of dirt can be picked up and held low. Generally, more weight below the axles is going to help stability. ....

Stability on Slopes

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-05-15          16288

Frank,
I'm with you on this one. My neighbor also mows his hill with FEL attached for the same reasoning. Problem I see in all of this is that the bucket weighs very little compared to the rest of the loader...which is well above the center of gravity. I think its a false security. Anything located above your rear axle is a liability in this situation. ....

Stability on Slopes

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-05-17          16348

That's about what I thought Mike. I tried it with several 50 pound sacks of dirt in the bucket to lower the cenetr of gravity but the problem was that with all the additional weight my little B2400 had barely enough power to make it up the slope at the speed I wanted to mow - SLOW,SLOW. It was ok if I went a little faster but I didn't want to go diving off into some hole or hit some downed tree limb that I couldn't see because of the long grass. I think I'll try it without the FEL and see how it goes. ....

Stability on Slopes

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-05-18          16394

Only additional advice I can offer Frank, is to either fill the rear tires with liquid or use cast weights...or both if $ allows. Maybe even a few suitcase weights upfront. This will offer more stability than a loader. I assume you have the tires in the wide position? Secondly, a "little" less air pressure in the rear will help to smooth out the bumps and give you better overall traction by allowing the tread to conform to rocks. Max air pressure doesn't permit this to any large extent. Best of luck. Wear your seatbelt ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login