Go Bottom

Bush hog driveshaft

View my Photos
Ed
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-05          16915

I have a cub 7275 with the pretty much std 1-3/8 6 spline rear 540 PTO and I just picked up a Bush Hog Bush Hog (made by the company of the name). It also has a 1-3/8 6 spline shaft. I need to get a driveshaft for this.I have the Quality farm& country catalog, and talking to a dealer, he said I should go after no smaller than a series 14N driveshaft, which is compatible with the Waltersheid 2300 or the Bondioli&Pavesi 4 series.Here is my dilemma: The 14N shaft does not come with the implement yoke and ujoint. I need to use either a tractor end slip collar or quick link...which pushes my cost to over $240, however in the quality catalog they list 'metric' driveshafts (waltersheid or bonioli) for about $100 complete, but using a implement end shaft yoke (which I can replace)'SAE' drive shafts are square tubing or rectangular tubing, 'metric' driveshafts are round tubing with 2 or 3 'nubs' - does anyone use what could be a metric driveshaft with good results? for the price I'd be dum to not look at them. All of the SAE driveshafts are 48" compresses which means I have to cut, the metrics apparently you can get in 5-6 sizes to fit the compressed/extended ranges....any help is appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bush hog driveshaft

View my Photos
RegL

2000-06-06          16942

Ed.All of my pto shafts are ,i think,what your describing as metric.sort of a roundish triangle with nubs.I have had no trouble with them,and i have had to shorten a couple of them.No problem as long as you measure carfully.Actually,I had to later get one of the shortened ones lengthened after i got the freedom hitch because it sets the impliment back a fue inches. ....

Bush hog driveshaft

View my Photos
David Paul

2000-06-06          16966

We are a Bush Hog dealer. Exactly what model Bush Hog did you buy? I am assuming it was used since it did not come with a PTO shaft. A rotary cutter generally does not use a 1 3/8 six spine on both ends since the cutter needs to have shear bolt or slip clutch protection in the driveline. There are some metric drivelines that Bush Hog uses that have 6 spines on both ends, but there is a special built in shear bolt arrangement in the shaft. This is only used on a few models in current production. This is the type of shaft you must have otherwise there is no driveline, cutter, or tractor protection. The horsepower of the tractor and the size of the cutter dictate the size of the driveline needed. Almost all Bush Hog drivelines are metric in current production models. Let us know what model and serial # you have and we can supply you with the correct Bush Hog driveline.

David Paul
Affordable Equipment Inc.
600 Ross Ave.
Easley, SC 29640

864-859-2623

Bush hog driveshaft

View my Photos
Ed

2000-06-07          16993

Not sure what model Bush hog, I know its bushhog as thats on a stamped plate bolted to the gearbox, but the thing has been repaired and repainted, I will look for a model. Its a heavy duty sucker, at least 10ga steel and a 4 place adjustable rear wheel.

I got a Bondioli&Pavesi (metric)driveshaft from central tractor with a 75hp rating that I might need to clip 1-2 inches off of. Now if bush hog is using metrics, there is no shear pin in the shaft itself, as u know the waltersheids are round with 2 protrubing ends, the bondioli are tri corner - hence there can be no slippage.

I suppose I COULD weld a tubular shaft near an end (inner/outer) with a pin, but it will no longer fit inside the cover. My other option is to use a limiter.

However, when I was at my cub dealer he said he had never seen an implement with a splined shaft, yet every implement I have seen anywhere else (king, woods bush etc) use splined ends on the mowers, tillers, post holers etc.

There seems to be no standardization as well as support available. A few friends at work are new to tractors also (8n and 861), using the same implements and there seems to be very little places to go. Over the last 3-4 days I searched every catalog, every website and went to a number of stores just to learn what the shaft sizes were and ratings and what parts etc are available. what we need out there is a FAQ with technical data in it (hint hint) becasue when you goto the stores asking questions they look at you askance like it is some sort of private club and the info is not given out...

(In my own case I got my 98 cub in 99 with no manual - they claimed to have mailed it, last weekend when asking questions about the hydraulic circuits the guy actually told me it was common thinking as to how it worked. Mebbe to someone selling them for 25 years...) ....

Bush hog driveshaft

View my Photos
Ed

2000-06-08          17027

checked my 'hog'...the words 'Bush Hog' are cast onto the right side of the gearcase. On the left is 'GS' and lower on the left is the number sequence 1 128 070 100 (I may have a zero missing)

What is prolly the model plate (1x2") is painted over. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login