Go Bottom

rotory cutter gear box

View my Photos
ThatGuy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-12          18776

I borrowed my dads tractor with rotory cutter (ie bush hog type, not sure of actual brand) and was mowing a friends field today, and the mower just locked up and stalled the tractor. I determined that there was nothing hung up under the mower and that the PTO was still working on the tractor. It seems that the gear box on the mower locked up. You can not even turn the blades by hand (engine off, using a long bar).From the looks of the plug in the fill hole it appears that it has been a long time since the oil has been checked. I can only assume at this time that it ran out of oil and seized up. What can be done to repair this? do you have to replace the whole box or just the gears inside? Is it a do it yourself job? The mower is also atleast 20 yrs old, and has some rust thru on the deck, so is it even worth trying to repair?thanks for any help

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

rotory cutter gear box

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-13          18797

Not enough information to know exactly what needs to be done. I'd think the first thing would be to get it identified, and then if it were me, I'd have to take it apart to see whether I could fix it. Unfortunately, the gearbox is about the most expensive thing you can break on the mower. ....

rotory cutter gear box

View my Photos
Jerri Neese

2000-08-14          18824

Thatguy, not a lot to go on but here is some info. Depending on size of mower, replacement could run as low as say $500.00 and up. A replacement gear box would likely run in the $150.00 to $200.00 range. As Bird said, it maybe worth tinkering with before buying something else. Sorry couldn't be more help without more info. ....

rotory cutter gear box

View my Photos
ThatGuy

2000-08-14          18830

Sorry that i didnt have enough info.. The mower is over an hour away, so I cant try to get much more for a few weeks.. Once i get more info Ill come back to get some hints on what to do..

BTW - this is on an 8N tractor with a over-running clutch.. What is the difference between an over-running clutch and a slip clutch? or are they one in the same?

thanks for the help, and sorry i didnt provide enough info.. ....

rotory cutter gear box

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-14          18831

Nope, they are not the same. I guess maybe if you've used that 8N, then you know what the overrunning clutch is, i.e., an adapter that goes on the tractor PTO spline first, then the drive shaft to the implement hooks onto that and it allows free wheeling when the implement speed exceeds that of the tractor PTO. And the slip clutch is a part of the implement drive shaft that allows the PTO to keep turning even if the implement, e.g., blades on the brush hog, hit something and stop turning. In other words, it's used instead of a shear pin. ....

rotory cutter gear box

View my Photos
ThatGuy

2000-08-14          18838

I sorta remembered what the over running clutch was suppose to do (it has been yrs since i have used the mower and tractor though), but thought it also may serve double duty as a slip clutch.. I was slightly confused hehe

thanks for getting me straight

Go Top

Share This

Member Login