Go Bottom

Bush Hog vs Woods rotary cutters

View my Photos
John Street
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-09-17          19848

I'm looking for a 5' rotary cutter for my Ford 8N. Will mow about two miles of woods trails (mostly grass, some tall and thick). Cutting actual brush will be minimal, but I can't guarantee I won't hit an occasional old stump or rock. I hope to move up in the tractor world, perhaps next year, possibly with a Kubota B2710 or B2910. Right now, I'm most interested in either a Bush Hog SQ600 or a Woods MD160 (a heavier machine). Any thoughts on which is best, or on other brands? (I don't think I need a really heavy-duty mower.)John S.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-09-17          19849

I'm not really familiar with the Woods, but they have a good reputation. I used to have a Bush Hog Squealer (48") and my cousin now has an SQ600. The Squealer line is not considered to be a heavy duty cutter, but I know from mine and his experience that it'll take down 2" stuff with no damage if you're not going too fast. ....

View my Photos
RickB.

2000-09-17          19864

I work for a dealer of both Woods & Bush Hog. Every time I see a cutter question, I think "why do they call them ALL Bush Hogs?". I wouldn't own a Woods cutter, but that's just my $0.02. Price out common repair parts such as blades & blade hardware, include that info in your decision. A 'stump jumper may be optional equip on the Woods, don't buy one without it. The new series of Squealers (3 digit #'s) are quite a bit stouter than the old series. ....

View my Photos
Ed

2000-09-25          20072

I have a 19?? bush hog SQ60R4 sq = sqealer, 60 = inch cut, r = rounded end 4 = dunno

it might not be heaviest duty cutter, but I paid only $200 for it and parts are RELATIVELY cheap (parts still are a ripoff when u consider whatu get)

Ive mowed woods for some guy - all saplings 1=2" thick ....

View my Photos
Peter Accorti

2000-09-25          20073

I'll just speak from personal experience. I have a Woods XT172 (6' light cutter). Other than some 3/4" pricker bushes I have not really tackled any thick brush. I use mine on the lowest setting (approx 2") and I do occasionally hit some rocks with the blades. More often the rear "lip" of the deck has pulled rocks out of the ground (which can shake the tractor pretty good). My pasture is filled with pretty good sized rocks (about the size of 2 or 3 bricks). So far the cutter has served me well. The blades are just barely nicked and the rear "lip" is not bent in the slightest. The deck has thick "skids" welded along the bottom lip on the sides. I believe that the MD unit is heavier than mine.

Peter ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login