Go Bottom

Which Rotary Cutter

View my Photos
JeffM
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-16          24283

I'm in the market for a 60" rotary cutter and have gravitated towards the new JD MX5, Landpride RC1560, and the Bush Hog 285 or SQ600. I'll be cutting about 5 acres of old fields three or four times a season - mostly grasses, weeds, and small saplings now - with a 35 hp JD 4400. Anybody out there have experience with the JD MX5? I'd appreciate opinions and thoughts on these or comparable cutters for my situation.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Which Rotary Cutter

View my Photos
DanaT

2001-02-16          24290

While your thinging about different brands, you might compare the weights of all them, the heaver the better or dollor for pound. I have a bush hog SQ60 and it does a nice job for me, I bought it used (very little). ....

Which Rotary Cutter

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-02-16          24294

Jeff, I'm not familiar with the other brand and models mentioned, but I used to have a Bush Hog SQ48 (when I had the little B7100) and my cousin now has an SQ600 (behind a New Holland TC29D). I guess you know the Squealer series Bush Hog is considered to be their "light duty" models; however, both the one I had and the one my cousin has have cut 2" saplings with no problems. They're tough. Like Dana said, the heavier the better. I'm now using a Howse 500; traded up in size, down in quality when I bought the B2710. It's quite satisfactory for what I need it to do, and it was cheaper, but isn't the quality of a Bush Hog. ....

Which Rotary Cutter

View my Photos
RickB.

2001-02-17          24317

I don't have the spec's right here, but the BH 285 is most certainly built heavier than the Landpride 1560, which is the bottom of their line. The BH SQ600 probably is as well. I always ask; Why do they call all of them Bush Hogs? ....

Which Rotary Cutter

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-02-17          24319

Why do they call all of them Bush Hogs? For the same reason my Mother calls all motorhomes Winnebagos. LOL Bush Hog is a brand name. It seems that the most common "generic" name is "rotary cutter"; however, they are better known in my part of the country as "brush hogs" or "shredders". ....

Which Rotary Cutter

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-19          24388

Yeah, Bird, we always called them brush hogs, too. Boy, was I confused when I started this thread. I wrote thatI was looking at the Bush Hog 285 and the SQ600, but really it was the SQ600 and the RZ60R, both of which are lightweight. I got a good look at the new JD MX5 this weekend and I definitely should be comparing it to the Landpride 2560 or the Bush Hog 285. The MX5 looks like a real nice unit, but since it just came out late last fall nobody in my part of the country has any experience with it yet. My local JD dealer has 6 of them in stock already, so I guess he plans on selling a lot of them. ....

Which Rotary Cutter

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-02-26          24694

A followup: I've decided to get the Bush Hog SQ600. It seems to be the best-built and most features (e.g., stumpjumper and slip clutch) of the "lightweight" rotary cutters. At $850 ( with the slip clutch) it is almost half the price of the next step up: "mediumweight" cutters like the Bush Hog 285 and the JD MX5. The MX5 was the nicest cutter I saw in this range and I really liked it, but the $800 I saved will buy a box blade and a half! ....

Which Rotary Cutter

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-02-26          24714

JeffM, good choice. I was at my cousin's place when the salesman delivered his new TC29D and Bush Hog rotary cutter, and even though it's rated as a light duty cutter, that salesman promptly demonstrated it by running right into the heavy brush and woods, chopping little trees as big as 3" diameter. I actually thought that young salesman was going to break it before my cousin got a chance to use it, but after he left, I inspected it; top and bottom, and didn't find any damage. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login