Go Bottom

bush hog brush hog rotary mower

View my Photos
David LaBrie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-21          28417

I need to buy a rear mower for my B2910. I have about 1 acre of lawn and 2.5 acres of field to mow. I have been cutting it over the years with a JD garden tractor. I am clueless as to what to buy. One dealer told me I couldn't cut the lawn with a brush hog another dealer said I could. One wanted to sell me a LandPride 60", FDR15 grooming mower for $1725. Can someone point me in the right direction?Thanks.David

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-05-21          28421

David, it would be hard for anyone to give you a definitive answer without more details of what you're mowing (and then the answer would just be an "opinion) - is the "lawn" a manicured lawn (like I had when I lived in town) or just a "yard" (like I have now); i.e., how smooth and how pretty a cut do you want? Is the field smooth? Just grass and light weeds? How high do you let it get before you mow it? I have both a Bush Hog RDTH60 finish mower ($1,695) and a Howe 500 rotary cutter ($495) for my 2.5 to 3 acre yard and 7 acre pasture. If the blades are sharp enough on a brush hog, you can mow the yard with it, but it isn't going to be as pretty a cut as a finish mower. And if you've been mowing the field with a riding mower, you can mow it with a finish mower, but they're pretty expensive mowers to wear out taking a beating on rough ground. ....

View my Photos
Alan L. Lewis

2001-05-22          28459

If I had any pasture-like acreage at all a rotary cutter would be my first purchase, before a finish mower. ....

View my Photos
Denny Townson

2001-05-23          28468

This topic is of interest to me since I am getting my first tractor in a couple of days. It is the B 2410 with front loader and the LandPride 60", FDR15 grooming mower. My dealer is quoting me $995 for the LandPride 50" brush hog. This is much higher than the Howe which was mentioned. Is there a difference in quality? If so where, what is it etc. If anyone can suggest other options to the LandPride which are less expensive I would be interested.

Secondly, I have about 1 acre of dense sapplings ranging from 1/2 " to 1 " in diameter. They are mostly elm and birch. What is the best way to get this cleared? Would it be too much to expect the brush hog to tackle that kind of a job? ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-05-23          28494

Denny, I don't know anything about the Landpride implements; maybe it's worth more, and definitely better quality than the Howse. Maybe the model you mentioned is a heavier duty model, but my dealer wanted $795 for a 60" (5') Bush Hog Squealer about a year and a half ago, and I've seen one take down 2" stuff with no problem (a lot of noise but no damage). For stuff up to one inch, I don't even worry about that with my cheap Howse ($495 for a 5' one) even though the manual only mentions mowing "grass". ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-05-23          28497

Denny, you might want to see if you can find a Bush-Hog dealer and look at the 48" Squealer model SQ480. It's a real nice "light-duty" model, which is rated to cut 1" saplings with no problem, although they do make a lot of noise. It should match up real well with your B2410. It has an oval blade pan (stump-jumper) and is shear-pin protected with no option for a slip clutch. I bought a 60" SQ600 for $850 including an optional slip clutch last month. I think this was a very good price, but I expect that the SQ480 could be had for somewhat less because of no slip clutch and smaller size. Bush Hog also makes a 42" model. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Denny Townson

2001-05-24          28537

Here is what I have gathered so far.
Landpride RCR1548-1231: Deck is 12 guage, Gearbox is rated at 30hp and 45
in cut. Cost is $995

Bush Hog SQ480: Deck is 11 guage, Gearbox is rated at 45hp and 48 in cut.
Cost is $974

Howse 400: Deck is 12 Guage Reinforced, Gearbox is 45hp and 48 in cut.
Cost is $570 but can not find a dealer in my area so freight will add to
that cost.

Looks like the Howse may be the best buy but may not be able to find it
locally

View my Photos
David LaBrie

2001-05-24          28538

In the Northern tool and equipment catalog there are 3 Howse, Rough cut Mowers. They come in 4,5 and 6 foot sizes. Cost is $500, $550 and $650.
It says the recommended HP for the 4Õ is 15-30hp, the 5Õ is 25-40hp and the 6Õ is 30-60hp. Are they talking about PTO HP or engine HP? My B2910 is 30hp with 22@ the PTO. Can I run the 5Ó model? Are the Mower chain guards necessaryÓ they cost $120, $140, and $150. What do they mean when they say it has a 45hp gearbox? Also does anyone have an opinion on the landscape Rakes and grader blades sold by Northern?

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-05-24          28540

David, I have a 5' Howse for my B2710. I know the manual says 4', but that wouldn't cover the width of the rear wheels. On their horsepower ratings, they're usually talking about PTO horsepower, but that's just a good guide, not a definite limitation. Trust me, you want a 5' brush hog for your B2910. I traded off a 4' one to get the 5. And the 45hp gearbox means that's the maximum PTO horsepower you should use. In other words, you can use it on a bigger tractor, but if it breaks and they know you had it on a 50 or 100 hp tractor, it might not be covered by the warranty. Incidentally, I paid $495 for mine in 1999. And the chain guards prevent things like rocks, sticks, etc. from being thrown out from under the mower when you hit them. A lot of people use mowers without them, but those big blades are turning pretty fast and they're pretty heavy, so I've seen projectiles as big as my arm launched over 50 feet. Not only are they dangerous to people, but it could launch a projectile into one of your tractor tires and ruin it. I made my own chain guards; front and rear; didn't cost much, but did take some time, drilling and welding. I wouldn't want to be without them. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-05-25          28561

Denny, that price on the SQ480 sounds real high at $974. I would have expected $750, maybe $800 max. ....

View my Photos
John Shade

2001-05-25          28583

You may also want to check at Farm&Fleet (Farm&Country, Quality, etc). The Kingkutter equipment seem to be decent quality "light duty" units at very good prices. I have a 5' box blade that does fine. The cultivator looks very solid & gear drive. The cutters ($500?) & finish mowers ($1100) also look pretty solid. Landpride & Brushog are high quality (& cost), but check out KingKutter also. ....

View my Photos
DCB

2001-05-26          28598

Dave,
I have a JD 790 with a 5' Woods XT-160 medium duty rotary cutter that I use on 3 acres of pasture to cut very aggressive thistle - until I can reseed with pasture mix - as well as to cut 4 acres of weeds and brush. I've been very happy with the cutter. The only option I wish I had sprung for - and I will in the future - is to have chain guards installed on the front of the deck rather then the rubber guards which are standard. The deck does dig in if I cut the brush any shorter then 3", but I'm not looking for a manicured lawn. The cutter cost me $650.00. Good luck... Doug ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login