Go Bottom

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
Kevin Squires
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-07-09          29903

Anybody have a DR brush Mower? I'm thinking of buying one because I need to cut brush on a slope and mt tractor is too top heavy for the job. Any comments on its operation?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
John Mc

2001-07-09          29910

I've never used the DR Brush mower myself, but recently moved to the town where they are made, and have a few friends who own one. They love it! Easy to operate, and works as advertised. It will take down more than just weeds... handles small saplings as well (I don't know what the upper limit is, but one guy has taken down some 1" saplings). ....

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
Mark E. Lamprey

2001-07-09          29915

Kevin, I do not own one but have rented and used one. You won't be dissapointed, they work excellant. I did find that with both drive wheels engaged (4 wheel drive so to speak ) you will want to hang on to it for it will go places you can't follow, uphill, downhill or staight out through the woods it is a mowing machine. The Billygoat company makes one called the Outback, which is designed very similar, see enclosed link, although I would be a little concerned about the strength and durability of there handle bar setup. Mark ....

Link:   

Click Here

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
Dave in New Hampshir

2001-07-09          29924

Kevin... I own a dr field and brush mower. I've had it for about 2 years and find it to be a real blessing. I bought the 15 hp model mostly because of the pumped oil system that works on hills. It is very easy to use, cuts saplings up to one inch in diameter and can get into tight spaces. With it, I doubt I'll buy a mower for my tractor. Dave ....

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-09          29931

I rented one once to cut hillsides that had over grown. My hillbilly days in Kentucky. It worked quite well but got sticks jammed once in a while.
I mowed the same ground with my tractor and bush hog. Much easier, but I had 4 wheel drive. I am not sure I would have taked the brush trimmer anywhere I would not take the tractor. In fact I thought it was more dangerous with the trimmer.
Peters ....

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
Mark E. Lamprey

2001-07-10          29939

Kevin, I had a chance to watch the video I was sent on the Billygoat Outback and I have to say that if I were in the market for such a machine I would have to give it a serious look. The video shows it to be quite a rugged mower with a well thought out design, they even show a guy mowing over a cement block with nothing but small chunks of concrete left in it's path. I am sure the blades were consideribly duller. The handle bar design appears to be well reinforced but only down low, no supports and braces up high were the handles would take a lot of twisting and abuse, and as I recall I even had to tighten the handlebars on the DR when I rented it because they were loose. The Outback with the 11 HP Honda electric start engine was listed at $2330 Mark ....

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
Michael

2001-07-10          29940

I own a Billy Goat and haven't had any problems with it. My only complaint is that it only mows a 2' swath. One of the earlier posts is right about these types of machines pulling and pushing you around. My Billy Goat doesn't have a drive wheel differential lock and so if one wheel gets stuck and spins, the machine doesn't move forward. I don't use mine much anymore since I got my TC29--the 5' hog is much more efficient. Billy only comes out every month or two to munch on the grass between the christmas tree plantation. Had I given that much though up front, I would have planted the trees 6-7' apart instead of 5' apart and mowed in between using the 5' hog. ....

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
Kevin Squires

2001-07-10          29943

It's me again (Kevin). Thanks for all the replies. I am thinking about buying the DR or something similar to handle small sapling growth and grass on steep hillsides. I own a John Deere 4100 with a brush mower but I haven't been able to get over the "I'm about to tip over" feeling when I use it on slopes. I'm not really sure how steep of a slope I can use the tractor on but I know I can get out of the way of a brush mower if it tips.
Are there any good sources for finding used DR (or similar) mowers for sale?

Kevin ....

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2001-07-10          29953

I've owned a Dr Mower for 5-6 years and use it on slopes that I wouldn't think of taking my Kubota B2400. It's a great machine. It's tough, runs well and starts first time. At present I've got the lawn mower deck on it just now and I use it for trimming around the yard before hitting it with the 5' mower on the tractor. You don't see many used ones for sale and I'd have my doubts about buying used after seeing how I've ill treated mine over the years. I think the Dr company themselves sell reconditioned models that they have taken back in trades or they may maintain a registry of machines for sale by owners. ....

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
John Mc

2001-07-10          29961

You might try contacting the manufacturer Country Home Products in Vergennes, VT. They have a 30 money back Guarantee. I know a few of them do come back (not often). I'd try asking what they do with the returned ones. They can't legally sell them as new. I know a couple of locals have picked up cheap ones, but it may be the kind of thing where you have to be in the right place at the right time.

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
Stan in Calif

2001-07-11          29994

Yes, I have one and I love it. Can,t speak for mowing brush, as I have none - just lots of heavy duty weeds - Johnson grass, Wild Oats, Starthistle, Morning Glory, etc., and it chomps right through them. I do most mowing in second or third gear. I chose the 10.5 hp briggs for its large displacement, crankcase capacity, price, and parts availability. The 12.5 and 15 hp models have full pressure oiling and that is a good thing, but I'm not sure it's necessary. The Biggs manual says "On mobile equipment, this engine will operate satisfactorily atany angle at which operator and equipment can function safely." I haven't had any problems with vertical shaft briggs engines operated on slopes. I'm interested to hear what Frank has to say - It sounds like he has more experience on this than I do. Whatever model you get, a differential lock is a very nice thing to have on a sidehill. Also, it sounds like you will want the optional brush blade. DR has a website - www.drfieldbrush.com Have fun. ....

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2001-07-12          30029

I'm away from home right now so I'm going to be a bit vague on the details I'm afraid. Mine is the older, utilitarian model. No pneumatic tires on my old soldier. It has the Briggs engine but I'm not sure of the hp. 10.5 hp sounds a bit much, I want to say it is in the 8hp range but it was the largest available at the time of purchase. Whatever it is it hasn't missed a beat. Starts first time and runs as long as it has gas. I don't use it as much on rough pastures now that I have the B2400. It's reserved for steep, steep slopes and clearing around the lake at the farm where there are still stumps and deadwood that would hurt the little rotary mower on my little tractor and it's no place to take one of the bigger farm machines. With the brush blade it will run up and over 1" - 1-1/2" saplings and then you better watch out because pieces of wood are going to be flying out of there as it mulches them up. Weeds and vines are no contest. Mine isn't the prettiest machine you ever saw, it's been in the brush wars and collected a few battle scars, but what it was designed and built to do, it does very well and with the lawn mower deck it does double duty. I wouldn't trade it, except for a newer model, but as long as this one keeps running I can't see that happening in the near future. ....

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
RegL

2001-08-06          30684

Has any of you guys used a Gravely with 30" brush hog,and if so,how does the DR compare to it?I,ve been using Gravelys for years but the older I get,the more Difficult they get to operate.Reg. ....

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
Kevin

2001-12-21          33954

Well, I did it. I ordered a DR Field and Brush mower. They ship in 3-5 days so I am expecting it before Christmas, or shortly thereafter. Have any of you tried the snow blower attchment that is now offered with the machine? I am considering getting one of those in the future but not before I read some testimony from users. It is a single stage unit and I am uncertain if it will do the job that I need done. (Gravel driveway with a steep slope). Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone! Kevin ....

DR Brush Mower

View my Photos
RockyTop1

2002-02-08          35412

I am in southeast (hilly) Tennessee. I seriously considered the
Dr Brush mower for the steeper parts because I was afraid of
that "tippy" feeling in the tractor. Some areas that needed to be
cut were on a 25% grade. I finally decided to buy a TC33D with
a 60" Bush Hog. This worked very well and I am sure is a lot
faster than the Dr Brush mower. I rationalized the safety issue like
this. The tractor has a roll bar and a seat belt. If there is an accident I will be fastened to the seat and protected. The "tippy feeling" on the tractor seems to be associated with going sideways on a hill which should be avoided (go up and down the slope). The Dr. Brush Mower seems like
it would be good for places you can't fit a tractor. (like trees closer
than six feet to each other). Otherwise I agree with one of the earlier
posts. If it's too steep for the tractor, its probably not safe with the
Dr. Brush mower also. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login