Go Bottom

FINISHING MOWER OR ROTARY

View my Photos
RON M
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-07-25          30361

I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THE ADVICE. I AM PURCHASING A JD790 BUT I AM NOT SURE WHAT TYPE OF MOWER TO GET. I HAVE 2 1/4 ACRES OF FIELD. THE COMPOSITION IS HAY TYPE HEAVY GRASS WITH LOTS AND LOTS OF HEAVY CLOVER. I USUALLY DON'T CUT IT ON A WEEKLY BASIS SO IT CAN GET TO 8" HIGH BEFORE I CUT IT. I DO HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF BRUSH AND SAPLINGS ALONG THE SIDE OF THE FIELD BUT IT IS MINIMAL. I PRESENTLY CUT IT WITH A DR TRIMMER WITH A BRUSH CUTTER. WILL THE FINISHING MOWER CUT THE GRASS IF IT IS 8-10' TALL? WHAT ABOUT DOWNED BRANCHES (SMALL ONES) IN THE FIELD THAT I MAY GO OVER? I AM CURRENTLY USING A WHEELHORSE 20HP GARDEN TRACTOR WITH A 42" REAR DISCHARGE MOWER. I CRINGE WHEN I GO OVER THE SMALL BRANCHES, AND THE FINISH CUT LEAVES MUCH TO BE DESIRED. A FARMER UP THE ROAD USED TO CUT THE FIELD FOR HAY BUT DOESN'T NEED IT ANYMORE. THE JD790 WILL MEET MY FUTURE NEEDS. THE DEALER SUGGESTED A WOODS FINISHING MOWER WHICH I UNDERSTAND IS EXPENSIVE BUT GREAT QUALITY AND WELL WORTH THE MONEY. I NEED TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WITH ANY ADVICE.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Terry Senay

2001-07-25          30362

Sounds like you might be better off with a bush hog rather than a finish mower. The bush hog will take the punishment better than a finish mower. Especially, when it comes to running over small brush and fallen branches. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-25          30374

Yes a finish mower of the quality of the woods will do what you want. But a 5' brush hog is cheaper unless you also wish to mow your lawn when not roughing it. ....

View my Photos
RON M

2001-07-25          30379

SORRY GUYS, I MEANT TO SAY HOW WILL THE FINISH MOWER CUT FIELDS THAT ARE 8-10 INCHES, NOT FEET!!! MY CONCERN IS THE CUT. THANK YOU FOR REPLYING SO QUICKLY. ISN'T A ROTORY MOWER GOING TO LEAVE A CHOPPY TYPE FINISH. IT IS HARD TO MAKE THE DECISION BECAUSE OF THE COST INVOLVED. I SIMPLY CAN'T AFFORD BOTH. I REALLY APPRECIATE INPUT FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE CURRENTLY USING THESE TYPES OF MOWERS. MY LAND IS UNEVEN. I AM THINKING OF A REAR DISCHARGE, REAR MOUNT, 72 INCH. I WILL USE THE WHEEL HORSE FOR THE GRASS AROUND THE HOUSE SO THIS MOWER IS FOR FIELD ONLY. THANKS. ....

View my Photos
Mark

2001-07-26          30397

Ron-
I have a B7500 with 60" midmount finish mower that I use in a field that sounds similar to yours. Ideally I'd use a brush hog, but like you, I can't afford both the finish mower and a brush hog. I use what I have for both the "yard" around the house and the "field". The finish mower does well in the field, even when the grass gets tall. I cut it regularly enough (every couple of weeks) that the sapplings don't get big enough to cause a problem. I might be taking a couple years off the life of the mower in the long run, and one day I'll probably get a brush hog. In the meantime my field is a little neater looking than my neighbor's who uses a brush hog. Also, for my own education maybe some of those with more experience can comment: will a JD790 run a 72 inch rear mount mower? ....

View my Photos
jb85302

2001-07-26          30404

The 790 should have no problem with a 6ft F-M. I have used one behind a 24hp Yanmar before with no problems. Rear discharge is better for all cutting but would really shine where you want to use it, the grass has less distance to travel. I've cut damp grass with mine and it still cuts good.
Jeff ....

View my Photos
RON M

2001-07-26          30405

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE REPLIED. I THINK I WILL BE GOING WITH THE WOODS RD7200 FINISHING MOWER. SOME OF THESE ATTACHMENTS ARE JUST SO COSTLY THAT I NEED EXPERT ADVICE FROM USERS AS TO WHAT REALLY WORKS. THANKS AGAIN. ....

View my Photos
MarkS

2001-07-26          30410

Beware of the weld that holds the spring tensioner lever arm in place. My Woods RD7200 has been a good mower, but there was a cold weld on the pivot pin for the tensioner arm. This took 8 mos to break, but it did break. Luckily it was covered under a warranty repair, and they replaced the resulting broken belt for free. Don't get me wrong, I believe this is a quality mower, but that is a potential problem area. Mark ....

View my Photos
jpaulus in W Wisc

2002-02-23          35833

The best combo tool to handle smooth grass cutting and parcels with woody content is a flail mower. they're not cheap. very compact compared to rotary cutters.
jim ....

View my Photos
digger

2002-04-26          37853

How much is a rd7200 going to run you? I am in the same situation and looking at mowers.

thanks ....

View my Photos
Stan

2002-04-26          37854

Jim - any relation to Dave in Appleton area? Used to work w/ him in Kaukauna. ....

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-04-26          37860

re dave in appleton: no, don't think we're related. i'm the jim, who now goes by "jim on timberridge" -- from La Crosse.
jimp ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-26          37861

Ron;
I bought a new Bulher Farm King from my Deere dealer last year. I looked at a number including Woods and thought that this mower was the best value (1K). It replaced a Landpride side discharge I had.
Most of the PTO finish mowers are much heavier construction than a normal lawntractor. Most decks are much heavier construct. The blades on my Buhler are closer to your DR Trimer at about seven sixteenth of an inch thick. If you buy a mower with a heavy deck the small twigs and branches are not a problem.
I have tried to cut heavy fescue the Landpride and did not go very far. The heavy fescue I have, in my field, will slow the MF 65 and the 287 Bushhog. I have cut 8-10" with the Bulher rear discharge but not the heaviest fescue.
I can cut it on my next mow, if you just need to know. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login