Go Bottom

Need a Rotary Cutter Recommendation

View my Photos
Clemson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-02-17          35679

It is time for me to get my first rotary cutter. My tractor is a diesel Massey Ferguson 230. It has 34.5 PTO horsepower. I am fairly sure that I want a 6' cutter. I will be cutting about 40 acres of pasture with fairly minor growth -- nothing over one inch in diameter. It is, in fact, mostly grass and broom straw right now. A few blackberry bushes in places that I really need to work on. I have looked at a bewildering array of cutters and prices. Ranging from a Bushhog 272 at $1550 down to a King Kutter from TSC at $629. In between, I have seen International, Woods, Howse, and a couple of others. I am not positive that the tractor will handle the weight of the heaviest Bushhog brand 6 foot cutter. I have no front end weights and the tires are unfilled. I'm certain that the light weight pieces won't give me a problem, but I am concerned about longevity. Would anyone care to rank the available cutters in terms of quality, weight, parts availability, and overall desirability? Any recommendations for a poor farmer?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
John Mc

2002-02-19          35732

Clemson-

I've got a 5ft Woods BB60 on a NH TC33D (27 PTO HP). This is Woods lighter duty model, but it's built as heavy as some other manufacturer's medium duty. I've had no troubles mowing the type of stuff you describe. IMO, the next step up in the Woods line, the "medium duty" BB600 (or BB720 for the 6 ft model) is way overkill for what you want to do.

I'm not familiar with the MF 230. Unless it's very heavy in the front end, I would look at some suitcase weights for the front end, unless you get a really light weight cutter. If you've got a FEL mounted, you should be fine with no additional weight. For me the problem wasn't so much the front end lifting off the ground, it was more of a loss of steering traction. I'd turn the wheel, and keep going straight.

John Mc ....

View my Photos
BillBass

2002-02-20          35742

I have a 6' Howse that I run behind my JD 950. The 950 is a little less hp and about 1000 pounds lignter than your MF. I do have an FEL. Mine is mostly pasture with some occasional light brush. No problems. The Howse cost me $500. ....

View my Photos
Clemson

2002-02-25          35863

For what it's worth, I ordered a 6' Howse with a 45 hp gearbox. I hope to have it coupled up by this weekend.

Thanks for all the advise.

Clemson ....

View my Photos
BillBass

2002-02-25          35867

Check the bolts that hold the gear box to the deck. Mine were slightly loose when I got it(maybe a turn). ....

View my Photos
Clemson

2002-02-25          35872

I'll check all the bolts. I was surprised to find that the cutter actually has a 50 hp gearbox, the dealer had assembled and lubricated it, and he loaned me straps to tie it to my trailer with for the trip to the farm. So far, so good. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-02-25          35874

I bought a 7 ft Bushhog mid duty. I has the heavy duty gear case connector and 2 wheel as the back.
I guess my question would be how rough is the terrain and how long do you want to spend on the pasture?
I had a 4 ft for my small tractor and it took nearly 16 hrs to cut my 10 acres with it. With the 7ft I can complete in 5 hrs with the larger tractor.
I had an old 6 ft which I bought with the large tractor and the farm but the 3pt frame was unsafe and the deck was cracked in a couple of spots. This cutter was probably used on the property and had been reduced to scrap. The terrain here is not that steep but there is a number of hills and holes in the field. I determined that it was better to purchase a little heavier machine.
When looking at a cutter the main questions are
1) How stiff is the deck? How is it braced (they will split)
2) Heavy is the steel? The edge of the deck will wear and eventually you will need to repair it. Sand can cut the deck over time.
3) How sturdy is the 3 pt attach points? How are they welded onto the base? How flexible are they? Is there a pivot top link?
4) How strong is the transmission? What is the maximum PTO rating?
5) How strong are the blades? How big is the stump jumper?
As for specific brands I normally look at value and the above criteria.
The new medium duty Woods BushBull series meets my criteria. I am not sure about the price. ....

Link:   Woods

Go Top

Share This

Member Login