Go Bottom

Sharpening blades

View my Photos
Redmessage
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-06-16          39588

Can you use a Dremel rotary tool with coarse grinder to smooth the edge on a rotary cutter blade? Thanks in advance.

Redman

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Sharpening blades

View my Photos
chim

2002-06-16          39591

Look about half a dozen messages down the list. Looks like the weapon of choice is an angle grinder. I have a variable speed Dremel, and with the meanest wheel I could find, sharpening the likes of a rotary cutter blade would be more of a career than a job. I can't remember if it's in that thread or not, but someone did mention about the blades are supposewd to be dull so they shred woody stems and not cut them clean. Reason is they are less hazardous to your tires that way. The poster said something like the cut ends of the small trees looking like paint brushes.

Sharpening blades

View my Photos
TomG

2002-06-17          39605

The idea of a dull blade for cutting woody material is that the cutting edges don't break off or bend as much when the blades hit a sapling. If the cutting edges break off or get dinged much then a blade ends up duller than one that starts out dull and has a fairly thick cutting edge bevel. ....

Sharpening blades

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-06-17          39616

I think it's misleading to say dull is better. The blades on a rotary mower need to be sharpened but not in the conventional manner. The blade should have a square edge about 1/8" instead of a knife like edge, but it should be a sharp square edge. To say it needs to be dull implies that a rounded edge is acceptable. ....

Sharpening blades

View my Photos
BillBass

2002-06-17          39618

I have a 6' rotary cutter. I do have a Dremel tool but I don't think I would try to sharpen the blades with it. The first time I sharpened them, I took them off and used a bench grinder. After that, I bought an angle grinder. My 3pt lifts the deck high enough I can reach under and sharpen the blades. If I want to really work on them, I just hook a chain to the deck and my FEL and raise it up so that it is standing on it's side. Then I can sharpen with ease.
I do put a good edge on mine when I plan on mowing only grass. If I plan to cut brush, then I don't worry about it. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login