Go Bottom

JD 25A flail mower questions

View my Photos
redmessage
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-07-27          40734

Anyone had experience with this flail mower? I've got 30 acres of horse pasture to mow and the wife would like a better finish after mowing than the rotary cutter is giving. Only have grass to mow. Will this do the trick? I've currently got a JD 4300, is that enough tractor? Any idea on price for a good condition used 25A? Thanks in advance.

Redman

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 25A flail mower questions

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-07-27          40742

I've been interested in this and equivalent flails for some time also. the 25a is an old design. JD offers 3 newer, heavier models in the 300 series. but they are too heavy for compact use (1000+ lbs). 25A has a nice cutting width 6.5ft, and is offset 9" or so to enable getting close to overhangs, etc. cutters are one pc fine-cut types. I've been quoted $3150 (2 years ago i got a $2700 quote - nice how JD combats inflation).
Befco and Landpride have 72" widths in medium heft that are equivalent in cost. the LP can be adjusted to be centered or offset, and has 3-blade cutters that appear to be better for heavier stuff and also smooth grass cuts. Got a quote this year for the LP-FM2072 for $3400.
For cutting fields that have had the heavy stuff (saplings, etc) knocked down previously, I'm convinced flails are a great match, to give a good cut but be able to handle coarse brushy areas.
jim ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login