Go Bottom

HD finishing mower for grass pasture

View my Photos
Redmessage
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-08-09          41114

I have a JD4300 running a 6' rotary cutter and need two things: very good cut quality (horse pasture) and faster cutting time (30 acres). I have looked at a HD finishing mower (LandPride FDR3590 or BushHog RDTH84). The pasture is just grass and the blade size on these mowers are almost a big as the cutter's. Has anyone had experience with using a HD finishing mower set for a high cut for grass pasture? I've looked at flail mowers and can't find anyone using them around here (IA) for references. I did try a JD 25A flail with mediorce results. Thanks in advance.

Redman

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-08-09          41117

A flail chopper will give a mediocre cut quality, their two big advantages are, even dispersment of cut material, and they handle stones and other debris very well, with little damage to the machine.

I have pasture myself and cut it with an MX6, the horses never complained, but it doesn't have the manucured look you are after.

There are a couple problems that come to mind with a H-D finish mower.

No.1 Rotary cutters have protection from stones and
stumps, finish mowers do not. However, if you have
none of these in the pasture, a finish mower at that
cutting height will give better results than the
rotary cutter.

No. 2 If you are cutting grass that is 12" high or
taller, the finish mower will have a hard time
processing that much cut material.

If time is of essence I suggest a rotary disc mower. These are simaliar to s sickle mower except instead of knife sections, there is a series of rotating drums on the cutterbar that hold swinging knives.

They give a fine cut quality, good stone protection,and will mow through fire ant hills. Ground speed can be up to 8 mph.

The downside is they process no matterial, so your pasture will look like a freshly mowed hayfield.

My personal choice would be a Frontier GM1190R This is a beefed up grooming mower that is almost as tough as a rotary cutter. However, the price may be a little more than you want to spend. ....

View my Photos
Redmessage

2002-08-10          41128

Thanks for the info, MrEthics. I looked up the Frontier specs and it looks similar to the LandPride FDR3590 except the blade size is thinner (1/4 vs 5/16) and tip speed is slower (16k vs 18k). I can get the LP3590 for under $3000. I am also looking at a Bush Hog RDTH84 at under $2000 with similar specs to LP3590, just 84" instead of 90". Any experience with these? Thanks.

Redman ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-10          41133

Red;
When you were mentioning that the HD I thought I would mention the Buhler I bought last year to replace my LP. I think it is built heavier than the LP and better design. I also like the price my 60" was 1K.
Blade thickness is not as important is steel quality. The blades on the Bulher are good steel. Difficult to sharpen but hold the edge well.
Peters ....

Link:   Bulher

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-08-10          41144

Suggest you reconsider a flail. LP has a new series (2001)FM20-72" or -60". They have triple knife cutters that look to give a better finish cut. The JD25A is an old design with cutters that aren't very aggressive.
I also suggest caution in size. A JD4300 is not going to overpower any cutter/mower of 72" or greater.
I use a LP-FDR25-84, and my JD4700 will bog down on hills, etc. So accept the fact that you may have to use a smaller attachment (of any configuration) and make more than one pass to get the appearance you want.
jim ....

View my Photos
Redmessage

2002-09-02          41911

Thanks for all the input that I received on this thread. I elected to get a year old Land Pride FDR2584 ($1500). My JD4300 has just enough power for it (certainly not too much), but my pasture is flat and only grass. I put it at maximum height and so far results are great. I do have to slow down in really thick grass, but so far have not had to overlap my cut. It has high lift blades and it really sucks up a dust cloud when in areas of little grass. It is important to keep the blades sharp. I'll try this for awhile and see how it works.

Redman ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login