Go Bottom

Safety shield on PTO shaft

View my Photos
CaseyR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-08-19          41393

I have a JD 413 rotary mower that I bought when a rental yard went bankrupt, thus no instruction manual. The unit works well, except that I shredded the shear bolt when I hit a rock - as it was supposed to. My problem is how to remove the bell shaped shafty shield or guard that covers the universal joint at the rotary mower gearbox end of the PTO shaft. The PTO shaft safety guard says "made in Italy" as the only identification. It is light cream colored and has three whitish spots of a different plastic inset just below the guard's "bell". I assume that I am somehow to press on the "spots" to get the shield off. I talked to a parts man at the JD dealership and he didn't seem to know too much about it, but said that I was correct in assuming that pressing on the white dots was the way to get the bell of the shield off. Unfortunately, I can't seem to press on the spots correctly to get the thing to release. Anyone have any tricks as the way to get this thing off without resorting to my hunting knife?

(all my other PTO safety shields have a type of snap ring inside that release them, I don't tell for sure just what it is that pressing the white dot is supposed to release.)
(I happened to notice that my old generic 38" rotory mower uses a 3/8" shear bolt while the larger JD413 take only a 5/16" shear bolt - should the JD413 take something a bit more than the standard grade1 shear bolt?)
Thanks, Casey

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-19          41394

Press each spot with a screwdriver while pulling the bell back towards the shaft. I hope you can understand this.

Billy ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-08-20          41410

I know those shafts--Comer or something like that. The manuals are in some sort of EC standard format in a dozen languages or so. You can't read the whole thing through in any language. It took me awhile to figure out how to take off the end guards even with a manual. I might have been better off without one.

Billy's comment is right. The white plastic things on mine are push and twist bayonet studs. Push and twist 90-degrees and they release and the guards can be pulled off. However, I'm not sure of your setup. I've broken shear pins on both my snow blower and my PHA shafts, and I don't have to remove the guards to replace the pins.

Even so you might take them off more often than imagined if you follow the manual. The grooves the guards ride in are supposed to be greased every 8 hours along with most of the zircs. The next mystery is going to be how to get the plastic ring out of the plastic groove. The answer is that the ring is split. You just pull the gap wide enough to pull the ring out of the groove. You really can't see the split unless you know it's there. The final mystery is likely how to get the shaft back together after it's taken apart to grease the shaft (every 16-hours). The shaft is sort of a pentagon, and I don't think it's symmetrical. I think it only goes back together one way.

View my Photos
CaseyR

2002-08-26          41672

Thanks, folks, got it off. While I was basically doing what you said before I solicited your advice, I wasn't really sure of what I was doing and had not been keeping enough pressure on the guard bell to keep the first "tang" from slipping back into place while trying to release the second and third. Thanks again. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login