Go Bottom

king cutter

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-02          50352

can any body advise on 5ft king cutter rotary cutter?seems to be fairly cheap in price is it worth it or not.hoping to hear good things but be honest,thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

king cutter

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-02          50355

Plots, My experience with low end cutters is ok. Years ago I bought a little 48" Taylor made cutter for my little 20HP tractor. It was the tractor supply brand at the time. I used it commercially in the past. That was a problem for it. I was usually on unfamiliar ground and hitting all kinds of stuff that was not good for it. It, the deck, has taken quite a beating over the years, 12 to be exact, I still use it, on my 35HP now, I still probably abuse it, somewhat. I only drag it out a couple of times a year now and it has to work at the thick grasses, brush along the creek and cleaning trails in the woods. I "sharpen" it, just clean up the front edge, every couple of years, change the gear oil at the same time. The deck is very rough shape, nothing a little time and welding wouldn't fix. I do need to really inspect the knives and mounting bolts closely this year, they are still original.

The small light weight will work good for a small property owner as long as you do not get into serious stump, boulder and old tire cutting. Mine has eaten a lot of scrub brush and always seemed to enjoy it.

Up on the farm the family has a big heavy cutter, big HP to run, mow pastures with brush, willows on creeks, boulders etc... they are banged up too...It does seem to shine on corn stalks as long as it is sharp.

Parts down the road should always be reasonably avaiable. I can get off the shelf parts for mine by the dimensions of the part. (The tractor supply catalog is required reading, among other calalogs, in the reading room). I haven't tried to locate a Taylor Made dealer. ....

king cutter

View my Photos
DK35vince
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-02          50360

plots,
All my attachments are King Kutter,and they work fine for me.
I've had the KK box blade, rake, rototiller and finish mower for several years.
I just recently upgraded from a John Deere 5' brush cutter to a 6' King Kutter I also got a slip clutch, so I have not had the chance to try it out yet. ....

king cutter

View my Photos
plots1

2003-03-02          50365

Im happy to hear that beings the low prices fit my budget,haven't heard much about that brand on this site and was sort of wondering why, though it was maybe not very good quality or something.hear alot about JD, landspride, and such but just a little spendy.just going to be cutting creek edges, few trails through woods and some pasture work, sounds like it should work out fine so far. hope to hear more from others though. thanks all for input. ....

king cutter

View my Photos
harvey

2003-03-03          50397

Had to send another note on this :-). Do you have any idea how much barb wire can get wound up under it before you can get it shut down or stall the tractor first? Once it was so bad had to take home and use cutting torch to clear out. Other time was smooth wire and I managed to clear it in a couple of hours with wire cutters and vise grips. HAVE FUN!!! Harvey ....

king cutter

View my Photos
Captain B

2003-03-03          50406

I have a KK box blade. I think the only issue is what one would call "fit and finish" if it were a car. For example, the welds have a little splatter and the cutting and fitting on the metal parts tend to be a little rough. Discussed this with a dealer who also sells Land Pride as his high end brand. His take is that KK is a value brand and all you are only sacrificing cosmetics. As least as to the box blade, I figured it would not matter after I used it once in the dirt. I have been very happy. Also sprung for a few extra bucks and got the heavy duty version. I would be curious about the 6' cutter with slip clutch that Wolbert bought. I am thinking about trading up my 5' brush hog this spring. On balence--I recommend KK if you are price sensitve and want core value. ....

king cutter

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-03-03          50414

To the new comers of the tractor realm,

You aren't buying cars. Cars don't dig in the dirt, push up trash run into trees (not normally) and other duties that would demolish a car in minutes. Do not expect quality of tractors, and performance to be related to the fit and finish of tractors and equipment.

For starters, paint processes are different. Secondly, welding processes are different. So are the assembly lines. There is a whole lot more hand labor involved as well. There are plenty of tractors, equipment out there that outperform, outlast, and outvalue others that are cosmetically superior. Don't be fooled.

Recently someone mentioned that his wife wouldn't let him buy a tractor because it had a scratch on it. This is not a good, sound way to go about looking for a new piece of equipment. Equipment and tractors have to be chained and tied down in shipping. Scratches can and will occur. This equipment is heavy and cumbersome to engineer so that it will fit into the safe confines of a car hauler. To do so would reduce its fitness of use in other areas that really matter. Also a tractor is designed for work and will get scratched and dented soon after delivery is taken. Never have seen a scratchless used tractor yet.

So does this sound like a raving of a lunatic? No, just some advice to people looking to buy a piece of equipment on the basis of look and not performance. To those who think both are equally important, consider cost differences.

I have seen a lot of equipment that was better built and designed with a lower cost but had less in the cosmetics than others. I would buy that one every time. But I guess there will always be those fancy pants, impractical people out there who will keep the "others" in business. ....

king cutter

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-03-03          50433

Captain B,
I got the 6' KK brush cutter with 40 HP gearbox at TSC for $695.
I purchased the slip clutch separatly at TSC $95.
It may be some time before I get to try it out, but I'm sure I'll be happy with it. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login