Go Bottom

11 ft or 15 ft for 40 hp tractor

View my Photos
superd
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-03          50394

Have a J.D. 1070 tractor and have located 2 good used bush hog
batwing finish mowers. One is 11 ft. the other 15 ft.
I cut 7 acres just flat lawn weekly.. will the 1070 handle the 15 footer. seems like mechanical drag about the same just more
grass load to cut with the 15.. thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-03          50404

Many of the manufacturers have stated in there literature that there batwings only require so much horsepower. We have found that some are conservative and some are generous on ther claims. For what I have seen some 11 foots you couldn't run and run well. Some you could run the 15' with but not run it well. Do you have the hydraulics on your tractor for the wings to be activated as well as the up and down? Watch yourself here as you might hurt the PTO of your tractor. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-03          50405

A 5 ft mower needs about 16 HP PTO to drive it properly. But you can stall it even with 30 Hp in long tuff grass. We had a disscussion recently about the rotary cutters not being a linear function with diameter. I would think the 11 ft would be OK. I am not sure I would push it to the 15.
I would suspect that it would be OK if your area is like a golf course. Most courses don't use any more tractor than yours. This would depend on what type of grass you have. Different grasses use more or less power to cut.
For example my lawn has centipee and I could probably use 20 hp on the 11 ft do to the running nature of the grass. ....

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-03-03          50410

I would suggest to you that you may be setting yourself up for some major clutch and pto repairs. A 11 foot mower typically requires 50 or more Hp and a 15 foot needs between 65 and 120. Since the 1070 is yanmar based, I doubt that you would have even enough weight to safely handle even the drawbar weight of one of these machines. At the most consider a 7 or 8 ft 3pt. Most probably, you will find that the best and safest operating is a good medium duty 6 ft. ....

View my Photos
Yerbyra

2003-03-03          50417

since you are on flat ground,I would demo the 11ft to see how your tractor is going to respond.I believe that 15ft is a little much for a 1070.I use a 95hp to pull a 15ft bush hog bat wing and it knows its back there!Let us know if you demo with results. ....

View my Photos
Todd-AgEquip

2003-03-03          50425

Superd,

I would listen to Mark here. The 15' is way too much and a 11' is pushing it. with only mowing 7 acres I would go much smaller. A good 6' or 7' would work wonders and if it is flat and not to rough I would even look into a finish mower. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Billy

2003-03-03          50429

I think some of you guys are misreading superd's post. He's talking about a 'finish' mower.

Billy ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-03-03          50440

Thanks Billy;
Although I did not make the mistake of thinking finishing vs rotary cutter. I did make the mistake of looking for data on the JD site rather than the BH site.
Despite this now I am confused. The BH finish mowers are not bat wings but trideck mowers. They recommend 30 HP for the 11 ft and 40 Hp for the 15 foot. Therefore the 15 would be pushing it and the 11 ft would be OK.
The flex wing rotary cutters recommend 60+ for both. I would suspect that they are cat 2 which would leave the JD 1070 out of the question.
Peters ....

Link:   Trifinishing mowers

View my Photos
superd

2003-03-04          50533

Talked with Bush Hog engineer and I proposed that no load
(as in grass) power requirements were basically the same
for 11 and 15 foot tri deck turf mowers. Same gearboxes and
number of spindles.He agreed this was correct.I'm cutting
home owner type bluegrass lawn and would cut once or twice weekly so as not to let it get too long.Local dealer has used
15 footer on 970 john deere for maintaining their own 5 acres
with no problem.. With heavier grass of course load increases.
Drawbar weight while pulling 350 lbs..trailering 750 lbs..
Within specs..I think the 11 footer is best match but can get 15 footer 1500.00 cheaper.. both like new cond... decisions decisions..Both 540 pto so will work with 1070 J.D.

thanks guys for the help.. Mark D. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-03-05          50581

With the width you are likely to hit the high grass only on one unit. Generally the belts slip if the mower clogs up with grass. I guess I would be inclined to try the 15 ft, if you miss a mow you can always raise the cut and cut twice.
Peters ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login