Go Bottom

KingKutter or Howse 4 or 5

View my Photos
jschauml
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-13          54801

I have a B1550HST and have several acres of areas that I don't want to use my 54"MMM. There is some brush up to maybe 1" thick. Since this is something I would not use all of the time, I would like to stay in the $450-500 range. In the desired price range I've narrowed it down to a Kingkutter or a Howse, both offer 4' and 5' widths. Any suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-05-13          54811

They're both about the same. I would go with the one who has the best dealer for support.
Pacesetter ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-03          58784

jschauml, Tractor Supply Center has the King Kutter 5' rotary cutters on sale this week for $549. ....

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-03          58799

I have the 60 inch KK and can say for the money there just like the name states. KING KUTTER.pretty good cutter. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-04          58858

plots1, have you got chain guards on your King Kutter? I don't like the ones that I looked at TSC with no chain guards, otherwise not a bad deal. ....

View my Photos
dcsmith01

2003-07-04          58865

I own a Howse 4'. Paid $425 new. It works well. My tractor cannot handle anything bigger. No complaints.

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-05          58878

I think a 1550 has around 13 pto hp and that's pretty light for whacking 1" material with a 5' rotery cutter. A 4' probably would be cheaper too, easier on the pto and weigh less. Since it's for infrequent use, an extra foot width wouldn't save much time either.

I'm making an assumption that the cutter used would shatter rather than cleanly cut saplings. Whatever cutter is used, it might be good to check what it does and assess the risk of tire punctures for driving back over cut areas. The tractor probably has turf tires, and turfs aren't very puncture resistant.

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-05          58896

No I have no chain gaurds.but I'm making guards out of half inch rubber bed mat material beings I got popped by a stick already on the top of my shoulder (OUCH).lucky for me it just left a welp. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-05          58897

As Tom replied, If you sharpen blades they leave sharp stubs but deos a fair job finish mowing, If left unsharpened they shatter them well. what I did was cut all my sapplings down shattering everything them sharpened them as I will be keeping it mowed so it produeces better finish look. ....

View my Photos
boatman

2003-07-07          59037

I use a King Kutter 60" rotary cutter mainly for mowing pasture grasses (leaves a nice manicured finish). I have 30+ hours on the mower and it has performed flawlessly. ....

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-26          72295

I just starting looking at the King Kutter. Looks like with a few safety add ons it is worth it.

Boatman. I noticed you show in your profile having a TC30 and a Baler. I have been looking at small balers and have not found one that is recommended for less then 35HP at the PTO. What Baler do you have? ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login