Go Bottom

rotary mower top link

View my Photos
Linesplice
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-18          55075

I just purchased a Woods brand bush hog/rotary mower and am having some difficulty setting up the BH to run properly. The question is about the top link.

There appears to be two ways to attach the top link. I am using a solid connector to my Kubota tractor.

One way is to have the top link in a downward position. When the tractor dips and the mower is higher than the tractor, the top link applies pressure against it's stop and actually flexes the thin metal ribs going to the back of the mower from the top link.

In the other position, I have the solid connector from the tractor fully extended, so the top link rides above it's center point. When the tractor dips and the mower is still high, the top link just swivels backward, and no pressure is applied to the mower.

My question is... which way is the correct way to attach the top link, and what is the function of the top link?

Thank you!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

rotary mower top link

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-05-18          55079

You want the top link to be able to swivel where it attaches to the mower so it can follow the terrain better.

rotary mower top link

View my Photos
Bernie Galgoci

2003-05-18          55089

Linesplice - The only way I can imagine what you describe is if you have the top link too far extended. The three point hitch has two lower "draft links" and one upper "top link." The two lower draft links attach to unmovable pins on the mower. The top link should attach between two 6 to 8 inch long pieces of metal which pivot freely between two metal uprights and what you call the thin metal ribs (stays or braces) which go to the back of the mower. When viewed fron the side, the "point" where the tractor's top link attaches to those 6 to 8 inch long pieces of metal should be below where those 6 to 8 inch long pieces of metal actually attach to the uprights and the "thin metal ribs" of the mower. The "point" should also be directly above where the lower draft links attach to the mower. (The attachment point for the top link and the attachment points for the draft links should all lie in the same plane, and that plane should be perpendicular to the ground. Pardon my inability to describe this.) As wolbert said, when the rear wheel or wheels of the mower follow the contour of the ground, the two 6 to 8 inch long metal pieces will swivel between the upright braces and the braces which go to the rear of the mower. This swiveling action is the functional equivalent of lengthening or shortening the top link and is what actually allows the rear end of the mower to rise and fall. The only real purpose of the top link in a situation like this is to be able to lift the mower off the ground for transport. As you raise the draft links via the rockshaft, the rear of the mower will stay on the ground until those metal pieces to which the top link is attached swivel out to maximum extent. Only then will the rear of the mower begin to lift off the ground. If you never have need to raise the implement entirely off the ground, you actually don't need to use a top link, and you have functionally gone back in time to a two point hitch. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login