Go Bottom

Recommend quality mower

View my Photos
ToddT
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-12          59391

I need brand advice on purchasing a quality rotary mower. I will be pushing the limits of what a mower can do, cutting blackberries, tall brush, etc and need a heavy duty unit. I would appreciate recommendations on the brands that are build at the top end of durability and effectiveness for this type of work. Will be purchasing a 5' mower for a new 32 hp Kubota. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Recommend quality mower

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-13          59412

Todd, you named some of what you are going to be cutting, I only see a need for about a 1" cutting capacity is that correct? ....

Recommend quality mower

View my Photos
ToddT

2003-07-13          59419

I would like as much capacity as possible. I have vine maple starts and alder saplings as well, some of which I will have to get off the tractor and use the chain saw. I understand that front mounted hydraulic brush hogs are also available, but too expensive for me. I'm trying to clear trails in a thick underbrush forest here in the Nortwest. I have 10 acres and want to put a fence around the front 4 acres. I understand that a rear rotary cutter will not tackle everything I have, but the more it can cut down, the less I will have to do by hand. If a rear rotary cutter has max. 1" diameter capacity that's fine, if there are models/brands with more capacity, even better. ....

Recommend quality mower

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-14          59457

Todd, after you mow it or clear it once it will never have the size again. To get ionto the tree cutting units you need at least 50 horsepower minimum for 5'. For the tractor you have you can go to a heavier cut but the price will go to get larger capacity. ....

Recommend quality mower

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-07-14          59471

I live in a heavily wooded area in NW Oregon and had a similar situation to yours. I bought a JD 4310 with a MX5 60" medium duty rotary cutter and it works great. It has mowed down 8-9 foot vine maples, heavy blackberry patches, and 3-4 foot douglas fir saplings without a whimper. ....

Recommend quality mower

View my Photos
Todd.T

2003-07-14          59516

Thank you both for your input. It's good to hear from someone in the same terrain as I'm in.

Art- Do you have a brand recommendation?

Also, Rhino has 2 models (CY60 & GR60) which are the same except the blade carrier. The CY60 specs "HD Pan" and the GR60 specs "Gyro Bar" as the blade carrier. What is the difference?

I'm ready to buy, I just need to figure out which brand and model. ....

Recommend quality mower

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-07-14          59517

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Rhino cutters.

I know you're not shopping for Deere implements, but I'd like to point out something I discovered before buying my MX5. If you have any Scotch Broom to clear out this may interest you. Originally I specified the LX5 cutter, which is a light duty (1" max) cutter. I asked a couple of experienced Deere guys if the LX5 would work on the 6-8 foot Scotch Brooms we have on our property and they both recommended the medium duty (2" max) cutter as the minimum for those. If you haven't encountered it, Scotch Brooms are pretty tough to cut up. The MX5 does it but I wouldn't want a light 1" cutter for that duty.

If you're not familiar with Scotch Broom you should be - it's considered a noxious weed here and is rapidly establishing itself in the woodlands in the NW. It grows fast, spreads seeds far and wide, and crowds out any young trees you may want to grow so you will want to keep it out of your tree stands.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login