Go Bottom

new rotary cutter

View my Photos
Hal DeWitt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-20          74563

I need some help and my questions will reveal my inexperience. I have a B7500 that I ahve been using for a couple of years for mowing, snowblowing and log skidding. I just bought a Bushhog Razorback 60" rotary cutter. There is too much snow to use it (finally) but I had to attach anyway. When transporting should the cutter be held clear of the ground by the 3pt hitch or should it roll on the wheel at the rear? The manual says to use the wheel to adjust cutting height and keep the front a little lower than the rear. How do you adjust the front? Just with the 3pt hitch? If so how do you always get the correct height for the front after you raise and lower? Are there some type of safety guards that I should be getting? Dealer said no not with that small a cutter. Thanks for answers in advance and I expect to have more questions as soon as I get a chance to use it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

new rotary cutter

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-20          74567

Hey Hal,

I'll do my best to answer.

"When transporting should the cutter be held clear of the ground by the 3pt hitch or should it roll on the wheel at the rear?"

It should be held high enough the tail wheel won't hit the ground during transport.

"The manual says to use the wheel to adjust cutting height and keep the front a little lower than the rear. How do you adjust the front? Just with the 3pt hitch? If so how do you always get the correct height for the front after you raise and lower?"

Yes, with the 3pth lever. I'm not sure about how the B7500 3pth lever operates but on my JD it has an adjustable setting. I can set it so it will return to the same position every time.

"Are there some type of safety guards that I should be getting?"

They make them but whether you should get them or not is up to you. I don't have them but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Hope this helps
Billy

PS
I've found that if I keep my cutter level, instead of slightly lower in the front, it does a better job. ....

new rotary cutter

View my Photos
gauthier
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-20          74602

Yeah,my nortrac has an adjustable stopper on the 3 point lever so you can lower it to what ever height you got it set for. As far as transporting,its intended to be picked up rear wheel off the ground far enough to where it don't hit the ground,but you can pull it also,wouldn't want to go very far down the blacktop like that though. I hardly ever raise mine unless I'm going through a big dip,course I stay on grass.I don't have no guards on mine either,but I mainly just cut weeds and grass over the same areas,if you were really brushoging you might want something,or cutting on ground that may have something hidden in the grass that could get you. Cut with mine level also. Richard ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login