Go Bottom

Rotary Cutters

View my Photos
Tom Hallick
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-20          74599

I own a 1947 AC Model B with about 23hp. It has a standard drawbar. Therefore, I would need to purchase a pull-type rotary cutter. The only brands that I have been able to find in the 4' to 5'pull-type range are Howse and King Kutter. My first question is would the AC be able to handle that size of a cutter? Also, does anyone know of any other brands that make a 4' or 5' pull-type rotary cutter? I plan on using the cutter for mowing some heavy brush and normal tall grass cutting.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rotary Cutters

View my Photos
TomG

2004-01-21          74613

Lot of people here know implements much better than I do. Generally I think that a 5' cutter for my 24 pto hp would be limited to fairly light duty work or the going would be pretty slow. If I had one it would be a 3ph pto drive type. I don't know if you're thinking of a ground or pto driven type when you say 'pull behind.' For ground drive, there may be the question traction over and above that of hp. Somebody else likely will have more to say. ....

Rotary Cutters

View my Photos
r43h2z

2004-01-21          74676

Tom G,

Thanks for the information. The AC has a PTO, but does not have a 3ph. It is just a drawbar that is mounted on the back of the tractor.

Thanks,

Tom ....

Rotary Cutters

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-01-21          74680

My nortrac 25 h.p. has no problem with a 5 ft,so you can probably go 5 ft too. Now I don't know much about your tractor but mine has a two stage clutch,important when running brush hog,if yours don't have a two stage,then there is a deal you might be able to put on ,called an overrunning some thing,can't think of it now,the two stage allows you to stop and take off with your mower running at speed, somebody else will know more,but if you got a two stage,then get the 5 ft.,might want to look on down the board there are spots there for older tractors,maybe someone there can help more better. Richard ....

Rotary Cutters

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-22          74684

r43h2z I am not sure about your lowest gear ground speed and can not remember if the b model had the had clutch. The wd45's did it worked as a 2 stage as I recall.

Yes you want a pull behind. You have plenty of pto power to run it. But I do not think on a hot day you will be able to work it real hard, keep an eye on temp.

Depending on your lowest ground speed you will either have to cut more often or set high 6-8" mow and then lower a couple of inches and remow.

Your height is set with a top link arangement or hydraulic.

There are some AC people on here and one of them may remember the clutch arangement, wether or not you will need an overunning pto adapter.

Good Luck Harvey ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login