Go Bottom

Leaking Gear Box

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-10          76559

Whats under there, Gear box I mean? I've never replaced/repaired a gear box on a bush hog. My friend just bought an almost new JD 4200, (100hrs) and an old Woods M-5 bush hog came with it, in not so good shape (wasn't bought with the tractor) had been around the farm for some time. The tractor owner new very little about the hog except it was his fathers and he used it once last summer with the new 4200. Well, we got it home and did some inspection and the gear Box was empty (Not a good sign). I put about a quart of gear oil in it and it began leaking from the bottom of the gear box under the hog. Whats the level of complexity of fixing this thing? Please Help Murf, and other mechanical types.

Thank you,
David

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Leaking Gear Box

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-11          76611

I guess it was gear oil that leaked out very fast. I've rebuilt synchromesh TX's but I haven't been into one of these. However, I don't think there's much to them and a job should be pretty easy. How things come apart is usually pretty obvious but gearboxes often have snap or retaining rings that have to be removed. You've got to watch for these things before banging away on something. Tools like retaining ring pliers are handy. I think there's 'how to' discussion in the archives.

It's probably a matter of installing new seals and some types of seals can be replaced without a complete disassembly. However, since it was completely dry and may have been run dry last summer, it'd be a good idea to inspect to gears and bearings as well. If you disassemble it there may be issues like clearances to shim to spec or bearing pre-loads to set but I doubt it. Because there are these sorts of issues, I'd check with Woods to see if a repair manual with a parts list and diagram is available and if they still supply parts. If Woods doesn't supply parts, don't throw anything away and try to remove seals without destroying them. Many parts are stamped with OEM codes and may available from sources other than the implement manufacturer.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login