Go Bottom

What should I look for in a rotary brush mower

View my Photos
MonteVista
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-02          81912

I recently got a JD 4310 tractor with a front end loader. I am ready to buy my first implement, which is going to be a rotary brush mower.

I know next to nothing about doing tractor work and I need all the advice I can get. My property is pretty hilly and needs a lot of cleanup work. What should I look for in a mower. The only brand I've ever heard of is Bush Hog, and I've seen several other brands mentioned. Where do I begin?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-02          81918

Congrats on your new tractor!

The type of cutter depends a lot on what your property is like where you're clearing. Are there stumps? Big rocks? Saplings? If so, how thick?

If you have thick stuff to cut you should probably choose a medium duty cutter. Good units have "stump jumpers" that protect the gearbox and shaft when it hits something hard. The thicker the deck the longer it will last. Double decks, like the JD MX series, are tougher and last longer. They rate gearboxes in hp, so a 50-75 hp gearbox is stronger than a 30-40 hp one. Slip clutches allow the pto shaft to spin when the cutter hits something too tough, whereas shear pins are sacrificial devices designed to break and you have to hammer the old one out and replace it.

Generally on your machine you can go with a six foot light duty cutter or a five foot medium duty cutter. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-02          81921

I forgot to mention safety. Cutters should have guards installed to minimize the problem of debris flying out and hitting people or property. IMHO the best guards are chain segments that hang between the cutter and the ground. These keep the medium to large stuff from flying around and last nearly forever. Rubber guards also help contain the smaller stuff but they get torn up and need replacement.

No matter what type you use it is best to keep bystanders and animals away from the cutter in operation. It is not unusual for the operator to get hit with debris from time to time so it wouldn't be a bad idea to wear some protective equipment. ....

View my Photos
CowlitzTractor

2004-04-02          81933

If you are in the southwest Washington area you are welcome to come by and look at some. I've got about 30 piled up waiting for homes.

Paula J. ....

View my Photos
jeannie

2007-04-11          141243

I don't know if my first message went or not. We are moving to Arizona and looking at a Shibaura SD 2243 tractor. Need a bushmower for it. ....

View my Photos
kotraed

2007-05-04          141767

I too recently purchased a new tractor. Kubota Grand L3830 with FEL. Have about 15 acres to mow and would like any info on which rotary mower to purchase. Which is better, lift or drag rotary mower? Looking at Woods, Rhino, KK and Bush Hog. Most of what I'll be mowing is weeds and grass, all relatively flat, level ground. Any info would be greatly appreciated. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-04          141774

Kotraed; Your Grand L is just a bit bigger than My 4310 Deere. I have a Deere MX 5 5ft. three pt. with a tail wheel. Depends on your needs, if you are just clipping pasture you could handle a 6 ft., if you are going out in 3ft. tall stuff then a 5ft.is big enough. The three point mowere are lots easier to back into a corner to trim up than a pull type, I haven't saw a new pull type in years, they used to be quite common before most tractors had 3 pt. hitches. The six ft. will be more clumbsy in tight quarters than the five footer, and if you have the loader off you may need a few front end weights for saftey. Far as brands go the Deere MX series, not the LX light duty series, is definetly an almost indestructible machine. Woods, Bush Hog, Land Pride, and Rhino also build good stuff, I personally am not a big fan of KK equipment, I kind of like to stay on the heavier duty side of equipment just in case that forgotten stump or rock suddenly reapears, but thats every bodys choice. I like Chevy's, you like Ford's, etc. Enjoy what you buy. Frank. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login