Go Bottom

Cutter shaft slipping off pto

View my Photos
smitthy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-11          82796

the driveshaft to my rotary cutter which i just purchased slips off the pto when i lower the cutter. is there something i'm not doing correctly? it seems that it only slips on to the pto but there is nothing to prevent it from slipping off....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-11          82798

The driveshaft should have a mechanism to lock it to the pto spline shaft. My shafts have spring loaded collars that are pulled back when slipping them into position, then the collar springs back into place locking them in. They don't lock unless the shaft is fully engaged with the pto drive. Your shaft could well be different. ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-12          82816

It will have a locking mechanism on it and there are several types. I have a collar type mentioned and also pin types. You know you've got it when you push the shaft on and it stops against something and goes further when you pull a collar or push a pin. Once it seems locked it's good practice to give it a good pull to make sure it can't come off.

Good you found the problem. I seem to recall a story about some major damage done when one came off in operation. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-12          82829

A lot of driveshafts for cutters are designed to mount in only one direction. They are designed to be fixed to the cutter's gearbox by a bolt through the coupler and input shaft. If your driveshaft is installed backwards there will be no lock mechanism at the tractor end, just a hole through it.

If you see a hole at the tractor end, take the shaft off and turn it end-for-end. You will have to be sure to line the hole in the coupler up with the hole in the input shaft then put a bolt (it sould have been shipped with the shaft) through the two and tighten it down, a little 'Lock-tite' would be a good idea too.

Best of luck.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login