Go Bottom

New home construction

View my Photos
Fireman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-10-28          44328

I am preparing to build a new house. In my prep I would like to get a general cost breakdown for the different phases of construction. Excavating, foundation, ... Does anyone have this info or know where to find it.

Thanks
Kyle

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New home construction

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-28          44329

In general it is a third of the cost to lockup (roof on and outside finished) another third to drywall (electrical, plumbing and other utilitues completed) and then another third to finish. The final can be more than a third if you want luxury finish ie marble floors etc. ....

New home construction

View my Photos
sodman

2002-10-28          44335

I don't know your location,but her in southwestern Illinois you can figure $85.00 to $110.00 a square foot.good luck ....

New home construction

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-10-29          44344

I am just completing a house and have done much of the work my self. I think you would need to be very creative or extremely cheap to be less than $100. ....

New home construction

View my Photos
TomG

2002-10-29          44351

A friend built a house from architectural plans some years back. He retained the role of general contractor but took on what amounted to a lieutenant contractor--a pro who knew the local construction buz. Essentially the guy rode herd on the flock of sub-contractors that building projects attract. He hired the sub-contractors, scheduled the work, made sure the plans were followed to code and inspections were completed. I don't know if the guy added to or reduced the sq ft costs, but my friend said the guy was invaluable.

My friend's previous place was in a commercially built suburban subdivision. After a few years of wondering why the basement flooded after heavy rains they called a contractor. The contractor found that weeping tiles hadn't been installed on one side of the house. Somebody needs to be in the herd riding buz almost full time.

New home construction

View my Photos
WallyB

2002-10-30          44413

My experience is with log homes, but I don't think stick would be substantially different... I figure 1/3 the total cost is "building materials" - add half of that (1/6) to build the building. Another 1/6 for excavation, foundation, septic, well, etc. The final 1/3 covers "everything else" - HVAC, electrical, plumbing, kitchen, appliances, etc.

I'd agree with Peter, it's tough to come in under $100 per sf when all is said and done. At that, a 1500 sf house is going to run $150,000. $50k for material, $25k for construction, $25k for foundation, septic, etc., and $50k for HVAC, electrical, etc. You can see those are "tight" numbers!

New home construction

View my Photos
bsmith

2002-11-08          44755

Construction prices are almost impossible to generalize. It probably will depend most on your market and the trim level/features required. Size affects price per sq foot too. In most cases the bigger the house, the lower the cost per foot. Not always though. That doesn't help much does it?

The work you do will obviously affect the final price, but remember it will affect the product too! You will have to sell the house at some point, so make sure you do things right.

Regarding subs; you NEVER get what you pay for. You always get more or less than you pay for. There is no rule about who to hire. You might be best hiring the lowest bid, or the highest bid. The best thing to do is get a feel for how you think you will be able to work with the sub, and ask around to see if they are reliable. Get it in writing. Make sure they have liability and workmans comp or eliminate them completely. If they get hurt at your site and they don't have work comp, you could lose absolutely everything.

I'd suggest building every 2 years because of the tax change that allows you to keep capital gain on your residence every 2 years (consult with your tax advisor). Though this might be daunting for some people, I can think of no other way to make money without being taxed. It's a great deal and I would think it will have to change at some point.

If you are a relatively intelligent person with some understanding of the building process, and perhaps the most important: the ability to make decisions (you'd be amazed at the number of successful people that can't!) you should definately build your own home. And the second one you build is even easier.

Around here it would not be hard to build a house for $80 a square foot. That's not a bare bones house either.

Finally, you will spend more than you plan to. 5% at least. Before you panic though, remember that if you love your house you will tend to stay home more (that saves you money).

Good luck and feel free to email if you want.

Bill

New home construction

View my Photos
pmbdabavs

2002-11-08          44756

I just went with a modular constructed home last year. The base construction of the modular home I went with was very good - 2x6 construction, real plywood, tyvek, etc. But their base windows, kitchen cabinets and vanities are low grade. By time I upgraded the windows, kitchen and bathrooms to a level that will last, I was up to $115/ sq ft, this is with nothing fancy on the floors. The only thing you benifit with a modular is that the interior comes complete. You still have to do utility connection, boiler, and pathing at building section connections. If you can do these things your self and the local building inspector will let you, you save yourself from chasing subcontractors. Good Luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login