Go Bottom

Destiny

View my Photos
David Waite
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-28          36811

I guess my decision to rebuild my Chevy C30 has been made for me. Rear springs broke the other day and I will have to start putting money into the truck. I have 3 vehicles 1 72 chevy, 1 72 Beetle, 1 95 Safari. The truck I got from my father and have put normal maintenance and right after I got it the timing chain went and had to do the top end. The new van I seem to be always doing something to it. Wife and I decided it is the most reliable so we should fix it rather than buy new and have all the new computer stuff that I wonder if it will last the 30 years the 72 has. New springs about $450 to fix, new Engine crate motor from chevy $5000 Body work and paint $3500. So I guess it starts here next thursday.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Destiny

View my Photos
MarkS

2002-03-28          36813

what engine is that? $5000 sounds awful expensive. I bought a NEW vortec 350 from Autocenter Inc. In Texas for $1750. I didn't come with intake or distributor etc. I thnk I'd look around a little more for a better price. ....

Destiny

View my Photos
David Waite

2002-03-28          36823

chevy 502 towing/RV $4300, edelbrock performer manifold and carb, GM HEI distributor, new water pump. truck came with a 402 BB fuel milage is equal or better than 350 auto in the same year chevys around here. When I load the beast it gets up and goes. The first 15 years of the truck a 3500lb slide in camper lived on it, now I use it for wood, stone and dirt. After I am done it will haul a trailer with my MF1225 and hopefully a small 5th wheel. If I bought a new truck I could not afford a new camper. The popup I have now is nice but I like to camp before memorial and after labor day and it is tough on the joints when it gets cold out with no heat in it. ....

Destiny

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-29          36830

I sunk a bunch of money into my '89 F150. Fix a little thing and then another. Then I realized some big things needed attention, and started reasoning: 'Well I've already got so much money in it.'

The last of the big-ticket items, repairing rust damage, was done several years ago. It's still a good-looking reliable truck. A bunch of people have told me they really wish they'd held on to their old ones 'cause new ones are expensive and nothing but trouble. Of course, '89's have enough computer chips to keep me from doing much on the engine and are trouble in their own right. I sold my dad's '70 GMC 3/4-ton. I didn't have chips, but it also got 8 mpg on a good day.

Factory engines are very expensive--I priced them. New ones are out of sight, and 'remanufactured' ones are to the horizon. I got a moderate cost rebuild from a local shop. I figure with some luck, two moderate rebuilds would outlast one factory engine and cost less as well. Factory parts of all kinds are much higher priced than parts from after-market manufacturers. I avoid the dealer parts counter whenever possible. Same is true for tractors as well (I recently got a price of $634.00 CAN for a hydraulic t-fitting adapter from my NH dealer), but there aren't many after market parts available for tractors. Gee, thinking about a NAPA for tractors is a pleasant thought for the day.

Destiny

View my Photos
MarkS

2002-03-29          36838

Ah, a 502, OK, that price isn't too bad with the Edelbrock setup. I put the vortec 350 (and considered the 502, but didn't want to buy a 4L80E trans, I'm sure the torque of a 502 would destroy a 4L60E trans) and the edelborock setup in my 93 and it runs like a top. I couldn't believe the difference the Vortec 350 made over the original 350. Its amazing what a good designed head can do (thats esentially all that is different from the original motor I had.) I actually took my truck to the Dragstrip just to see how good it ran. I clicked off a 14.79 @ I believe 90 MPH in the quarter. Thats pretty Damn good for a 4000lb truck. (I've embarassed a few Mustang owners LOL) Anyway, good choice with the 502 and the edelbrock setup. Keep us informed as to how it goes. ....

Destiny

View my Photos
MarkS

2002-03-29          36839

I forgot to mention, I put the Edelbrock MPFI setup in and not a carb. (Multi-Point Fuel Injection) I was pretty simple cause it connected directly to the factory wiring, and used the stock computer. ....

Destiny

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-01          38005

Destiny? Sorry David but for me riding around in an old Chevy C30 is a bit like an extended stay in Sing Sing. ....

Destiny

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-01          38009

Peters,

In 1978 I bought a Chevy C10 with HD suspension that I sold in 1981 and got a Honda Accord. Boy that Truck rattled my bones a bit, you did not want to ride around in it for long, and if you did you paid for it.

I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra now and it drives like a Lexus compared to the my old C10.

The longest I have had a vehicle was my 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I sold to get the Tundra. After about six + years and 90+k I have had more than enough of any vehicle.

In fact I decided after the Jeep I would never keep anything that long. Nobody wants to pay good money for anything that has more than 60k + miles on it.

Destiny

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-05-01          38010

I just got a 2002 Tundra, v8,4x4. What a great truck! ....

Destiny

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-05-01          38011

My 2k Tundra is 4x4 V8 Limited Access Cab with TRD package with Leather interior. Best Truck ever ran through 2 feet of snow no problem ....

Destiny

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-05-01          38016

I have only had my 2002 a month so it is still pretty stiff in the drivetrain....typical Toyota.... 20K to break it in...but, it will pull a 24 foot 5th wheel up any hill around northern Nevada and accelerate while doing so. And we have some seriously steep hills here and we are a mile above sea level. ....

Destiny

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-01          38028

Webmaster and Mark lets not rub it in on David. I never had a '72 so maybe it is better than the rest. Rode a number of miles in a '68 C30 crummy, not sure what kidney damage I suffered.
I had a 80 C30 4x4 crew cab for my Ministry of Forests rapid attack fire supression crew. I have fond memories of hitting the ceiling, with my seat belt on. Hitting the floor boards with my ass on the rebound and then having the seat belt ratchet down on my shoulder. This reaction and counter reaction occured on ever little bump until your were ratched into the seat and could not release the stupid mechanism. Naturally as government employees we had to wear the belts (off and on road) and the truck would start this sequence hitting a pebble and at speed above 5 mph. This was the lovely year that they lightened the body and forgot to tell the chassey engineers.
Maybe the tower of London would have been a better analogy.

Destiny

View my Photos
David Waite

2002-05-02          38086

I like the firm ride. It rides better than my son inlaws ford f150 4x4. I usually run about 45lbs in the stock 9.50x16.5 bias plies unless I know I will be hauling something then I raise it to 60 lbs. I guess I am cheap to spend 35k or more on a new truck that I dont think will last the 30 years this one has, just rubs me the wrong way. For a living I install and repair computer networks and the life expectancy of a computer is at best 7 years but after about 3 you have a tough time getting parts and all the new trucks have 1 or more CPUs and we dont know how long they will last? Some things grow on you, I hope my tractor will last the next 30 years as it does not have a computer on it . And by the way right now I feel like the maytag guy nothing is breaking and I wonder when the company will decide they dont need me. ....

Destiny

View my Photos
Matt W>

2002-05-22          38910

Looking to buy small dump truck, now that I have a compact tractor, to do small jobs with. Anyone know where I can find used 1 ton++ dumpers for sale? Anyone know where I can find value of truck if I find one locally? Not looking for a jem, diamond in the rough is more like it. Figure if I use it to haul some dirt,stone, fill occasionally plus move the tractor evety now & then and put 5000 miles a year on it'll be a lot. ....

Destiny

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-22          38911

matt'
What is local? There were a few here last year. I phoned on a 66' Ford that looked in good condition, body wise that was in the 1.5K rane, but had sold.
The 1 ton is OK for towing the tractor but might be a little light for carrying it in the back. The bed of the dump is a little high to get the tractor into and out of.
The other option is the dump trailer. Most have tie downs in the trailer.
Peters ....

Destiny

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-22          38913

matt'
What is local? There were a few here last year. I phoned on a 66' Ford that looked in good condition, body wise that was in the 1.5K rane, but had sold.
The 1 ton is OK for towing the tractor but might be a little light for carrying it in the back. The bed of the dump is a little high to get the tractor into and out of.
The other option is the dump trailer. Most have tie downs in the trailer.
Peters ....

Destiny

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-05-23          38939

I would go with the dump trailer. Most have suspension and some I've heard about can be setup to run the hydraulic pump off a tractors 540 PTO. That way you would have one less engine to maintain and you could use it to tote the tractor as well. ....

Destiny

View my Photos
David Waite

2002-07-10          40260

well I put springs in the back they only replaced the broken side. Stanley Springs of harrisburg pa did a good job and they had the OEM springs in stock $239 for parts labor and tax. Checked with a body shop they do good work but did not want to tackle the hole thing $1400 for rockers and one cab mount but would not take on anything else. waiting for an appointment with a local shop that does frame offs, custom work looks like body work might cut into engine budget. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login