Go Bottom

88 GMC Sierra 4wd problem

View my Photos
George in VT
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-11-21          45250

I have an 88 Sierra with a 5.7 litre V8. Having a problem with it coming out of 4wd after about 20 minutes of use. When I start it, seems to be fine, but after warming up, it comes out of 4wd and will not go back in. My machanic installed a new solinoid that engages the front axle when shifted into 4wd, but that only seems to do it a little quicker and nothing else. Hoping that someone else has had this problem, as the snow is already here in VT and need 4wd to plow my 1/2 mile driveway up the side of a mountain. Thanks for any help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-25          45360

Geeorge, I don't have much experience here but it sounds if it's not electrical that it must be in the transmission but I don't believe so. I have heard that some of the after market switches on the axle don't work to well if at all so you might want to check to see if it was a GM part you had installed. ....

View my Photos
Jeff Earthwerks Unli
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-11-27          45470

I believe you have the electro-mechanical actuator which consists of a disc shaped diaphram connected to a shifter arm that engages the 4 wd. The way it works is when 12 power is applied the bimetallic diaphram expands and pushes the shifter rod; when is turned off it cools and contracts. These are known for disengaging when driving through a cold water puddle or cold packed snow covering the axle--it would be like turning it off. There are many replacement systems for this which use a push pull cable like a choke cable. They about $150 for decent one. The nice thing is, you control it from the dashboard and it will stay engaged even with the power off. Try 4x4 Parts Wholesalers in Cal. or any 4x4 offroad shop in your locale. Or just search online. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login