Go Bottom

Should I buy a Yanmar Tractor

View my Photos
pkpurple
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-12-29          149715

I am looking at buying a yarmar 1500-400 hours or a yarmar 1700 with 900 hours. I am female and need a smaller tractor for barn cleaning,etc. What should I pay, can I get parts, what do I look for?--are they a 'stay away'? Please e-mail me because I am getting SO many strong opinions! Time is important. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-29          149716

Nice little tractor, although you might be better off with 4wd for barn cleaning. If no immediate repairs are necessary to put it to work, I might pay a couple thousand. Parts are ostensibly available from online gray market sellers.

But there's no guarantee that the parts are new, and there's no guarantee that any given supplier will have the right part at the right time.

I'm personally inclined to shy away from gray market tractors. For about four grand, you can buy an equivalent Chinese tractor - NEW with warranty - and hopefully an accountable dealer/seller that will keep it in good shape for you.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-12-29          149720

Pkpurple; First welcome to the board. What other needs do you have for a tractor other than cleaning barns? Unless you specificaly need a small statured tractor to fit in tight places for barn cleaning, then perhaps something a bit bigger with front wheel assist for loader work and other needs outside the barn might be a better choice. If this is your first tractor purchase then perhaps finding a nearby dealership that handles one of the "Big Three", (Deere, Ford - New Holland, or Kubota) might be a better choice. They all have good products backed up with parts and sercvice for the long haul. New is always nice, but any of the "Big Three" dealerships will likey have a good selection of used tractors in most any size and price range. Frank. ....

View my Photos
pkpurple

2007-12-29          149725

I have a big tractor that can handle large round bales..but too big to scrape out the stalls, and spread sand, and too big for my small garden, and too big around the new pecan trees, and tangerines...or maybe I am not that good at driving..It is being sold at auction and could go quite low, but too much if it is going to be a lawn ornament. Thank you for your advice. Pkpurple ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-29          149726

Pkpurple,

I don't know how much you know about these "gray market" tractors, so please allow me to fill you in, if you don't mind.

Gray market tractors are made for foreign markets. They are not approved for import into the U.S. They don't meet U.S. safety requirements, nor are the gauges printed in English. As a result, there are usually no manuals to go along with them.....at least not printed in English.

Parts are difficult to come by. Dealerships, where service is offered on them, are even harder to find. Even simple things, like oil filters, can be difficult to find locally. And when it comes time to sell your Gray Market tractor, buyers will be few.

I highly recommend a good used tractor from one of the major manufacturers. There are hundreds of models to pick from, and there's one just right for you, somewhere.

Please choose carefully. It's an important decision, and I don't want you to end up with something you'll be unhappy with.

Joel

View my Photos
pkpurple

2007-12-29          149729

Thank you so much for your advice, tractors are so hard to keep running, seems like I spend more time having the big one fixed then using it. I believe I will bow to the experts opinion and pass on these. No matter how good a deal, I have enough unfinished projects. thanks again and Happy New Year to all. Pkpurple ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-12-30          149742

No problem. Yanmar by the way, is a Japanese tractor. Click the Web Link below for the TractorPoint Yanmar forum

//greg// ....

Link:   Yanmar Forum

View my Photos
auerbach

2007-12-31          149748

Many Yanmars are not grey-market, that is, were designed for export and imported here by Yanmar. Most of these have three-digit model numbers, for instance, YM226D, meaning a 22HP with "D" (4-wheel drive). A good source of help is the Yanmar group here and on the SSB Tractor site.

Rather than setting on a specific brand, I recommend you start with a close-by dealer. As for Chinese, I can't speak from personal experience and know they look good on paper, but gather that the technology is about where Japanese was 40 years ago.

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-12-31          149751

Sporting a Yanmar logo, your response is understandable. I too had a US-spec'd Yanmar - a sturdy old late 70s vintage YM240. Almost bulletproof, but I got rid of it when finding parts became a problem (following the demise of the Yanmar dealership network).

Please note however, that the OP was asking specifically about a YM1700. Definitely gray market.

//greg// ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login