Go Bottom

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
flemdog
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-28          99428

New user, rookie tractor buyer, not sure I'm in the right spot to post this, but here goes:
I own a 9 acre tract that is residential and has horses. Wide open space, so the 'ol 46" Murray ain't an option. My friends told me to find an old Ford 3000 and buy one for 3-4K, which turns out to be a pipe dream unless you want to replace everything. I want a tractor that has around 35-40 horsepower, and is dependable. Will use it for primarily bushhogging, with some deer plots being disked up, etc. I've been looking at Mahindras (3525). Don't want 25K invested in a tractor. Hear spotty info on Yanmar, generally less than glowing reviews, but have noted that John Deere uses their engines(?). Can anyone tell me where to get an independent comparison of brands? Mahindra, Kioti, Kubota have all been mentioned, but Kubota seems proud of their stuff. Any input will be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-28          99429

Deere owns Yanmar.

There are no tractors produced under that name anymore that I know of and most of the Yanmars that are here now seem to be gray market machines with questionable histories and spotty parts availability.

That said, Yanmar produces engines and entire tractors for John Deere. Deere's 2210, 4010, 4110, 4115, 790 and 990 tractors are built in Japan and have an excellent reputation for quality.

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
BrendonN

2004-10-28          99432

Basically, a Yanmar with a four digit model number is a gray market machine. There are some around with a three digit number and these were US-spec models sold in the '80s.

There are a lot of older tractors around with that would sell for around $5000. Don't expect extras like 4WD, though. And the safety of the older stuff isn't as good (no ROPS, seatbelts, starter interlocks, etc). But don't cut them short; I use a '48 model John Deere M a lot around my place. And models like this will only increase in value given proper care. Can't say that for off-brand imports from China or Korea. ....

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-28          99442

That's a bit insulting to those of us who actually own and even LIKE our Chinese tractors. This new breed of Chinese tractors hasn't been on the American market long enough to even ESTABLISH a resale/trade value.

I've never stepped on your toes Brendon, please respect mine. Perhaps this thread would be more appropriately located at http://tractorpoint.com/cgi-bin/tractor/newPost.pl?category=SZ&catname=Size%20Tractor%20Needed.

//greg// ....

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
davidbenes

2004-10-28          99443

You want a low cost tractor built for the US market? Take a look at Lenar. Chinese tractors designed for export to the US. I will be buying one next spring. My local dealer quoted me $14,500 for the 254 model (25 hp) with a front loader and a Bush Hog style mower. Parts availability is very good and parts prices are comparable to Deere or Case etc. ISO 9001 certified manufacturing. Lenar makes a 28 hp tractor but the 25 hp model has quite a bit more torque. Contact me if you have any questions I have done my research. Very impressive to this 23 yr old farmer.

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
grinder

2004-10-29          99449

I have never been able to find that independant comparision
on tractors. I looked for a long time. If you find one please post.
I have looked at most tractors made from a purchase point of view.
I think I would looked for a low hr.New Holland, JD, or Kubota as I see alot of people buy them and don't really put to many hrs. on them. I would want something I could easily sell if I wanted something different.
I will include some prices locally advertised for your comparision.
New Kubota L3400(34hp.)$15,590,New, New Holland TC35s4 $18,590 JD 790 $16,500(27hp)
Good luck
Think resale.
He asked for any imput.
I am not going to rehash this old arguement so save your time. ....

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
BrendonN

2004-10-29          99450

Sorry for the offense, greg_g. I wasn't trying to imply that these tractors are not good machines. I was just suggesting that the long-term resale value may not be as good as a tractor with a widely-known brand name. ....

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
greg_g

2004-10-29          99457

FWIW, I got my investments back on two Chinese tractors bought new ($5600 and $7000) that I subsequently sold/traded. Through no fault of the tractors, neither was the "right tool for the job". More like the owner (me) didn't know exactly which tool to pick. The first one returned exactly what I paid for it, the second one earned me an $1800 profit.

By comparison, let's take Grinder's JD790 (above). I'd be surprised to find it a couple years later going for a used $18,300.

//greg// ....

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
greg_g

2004-10-29          99460

Flemdog

My experience with Yanmars - those made for the US market - has been excellent. But as mentioned above, you MUST be able to differentiate between a US-spec Yanmar and a grey market Yanmar. From the offerings I've seen in this part of the country, I personally would never buy a grey market tractor - of any manufacture.

My current workhorse is a KAMA (Chinese). But 45hp is probably more than you're looking for. And it needs one acre to turn around in, all by itself. The smaller sibling in that stable is their TaiShan (http://www.artrac.com/Kamatractors.html), which comes in 25 and 35 hp flavors.

//greg// ....

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
chipuren

2004-10-29          99469

A Chinese tractor of 25HP with US made loader and 5' brush mower should sell in the $ 9-10,500 area. If you are going to pay more, in addition to grinder's suggestions, you might check out Kioti and Farmtrac. Kioti CK25 with loader and a 5' brush mower OR Farmtrac 270DTC 27HP at about the same price and both have synchro shuttle and a choice of tires.

Now that is not to say I don't think the Chinese tractor has a viable place in the market, in fact we sell many times more of them than the other brands I mention, but it is a price issue, a New Chinese tractor with widespread parts support can be an excellent alternative to used, especially gray market, tractors.

Kioti is hardly an "off brand" anymore and I look for LG/Farmtrac (formerly Long Agribusiness) to make strong gains in the market over the next couple years. KOrea is strong in offering top quality at very competitive price, China for providing acceptable quality at lowest cost.

I think that it will get more and more difficult to define "big three" no question this is a very fragmented market with lots of opportunites for the buyer.

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-10-29          99470

Alright! A chance for my $.02 speak. I bought the big green because my wife works for them (no employee discount, the cheap buggers). The dealer is also 6 miles from my house. They aren't anything to shake a stick at, but I can buy the parts and do the work myself.

IF you buy an off brand, you do need to consider such things like oil filters and basic repair parts. Just make sure you know where to get them, that you can get them and what the price is before you plunk down your hard earned cash. I remember how much time I spent tracking down parts for the PTO clutch on my old Oliver. Love the old tractor, but the parts aspect was a huge pain in the ass. So went new for the main workhorse.

Consider the source of help for the brand you buy. If it's some off brand, make sure you can get manuals (in a language you can read) or that the dealer can provide assistance if you need it.

The all mighty $ isn't the most important thing. Do a risk analysis on your intended purchase. Basically a what if analysis. If I blow a hydraulic hose, what do I do? If I blow a seal, what do I do & whats the cost? If the motor just dies, then how di I diagnose it and get it repaired?

As for Chinese tractors, no big deal. Most everything you buy at Walmart is made in China or some other 3rd world country. I've worked with Chinese factories before. They don't yet have a grasp of quality. Sometimes it's great and you thing cool! But then next batch is such crap you wouldn't want to trade an empty six-pack of skunky beer cans for it.

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
JINMA224

2004-12-26          102973

Hey Brendon,
Saw your post and here's some food for thought.
Value and Resale is a fairly relative related subject. And I'll give you my experience.
It seems to me,, the more you spend,, the more you loose. Example: I bought a Chinese Shinniu 25hp/4wd tractor in 1990 for 5K. Used it for 7 years and in 1997 I sold it for 4K. If I did my math correct,, it cost me $143 a year to use that tractor. :-) It did all that I needed it to do and in my opinion that is good value And good resale value also. This year '04 I bought my 2nd Chinese tractor for another 5K. Who knows what my resale would be,, if I wanted to sale it. :-) but I could most likely get most of my money out of it right now,, If I wanted to, I might could even make a profit if I wanted to sale my tractor, but I don't want to, because it is the very best value that I could find. And with PS, 4wd, canopy, Spring Suspension Seat, it is the best tractor that I have ever owned. It rides almost as good as my pickup truck. :-)
Have a nice day,
Joe ....

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
FullPull

2007-03-31          140903

What,s up with the HIGH PRICES they ask for these imported tractors?? there built in SWEAT-SHOPS using Slave-Labor... WHO.. IS MARKING UP THE PRICES??.. .. .. . WHO.. is taking advantage of Slave-Labor and the American Market??? .. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .
Somone is getting (vary rich) off Tractors manufactured for PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR.. .. .. ... .. does anyone know the true cost of a tractor built in China or Tiwan?? .. .. .. . i am just CURIOUS ....

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
praha4752

2007-04-02          140936

Davidbenes,

cheap 24HP off brand tractor for 14500 dollars?????

You can have 28 HP a Massey-Ferguson with FEL for less. Not to mention NH TC 30 for 11000. AND MORE.

Joe ....

Need A Tractor

View my Photos
Carlos11

2010-02-24          168780

Hey brendon, dont know if youre still around, this is an older thread
but its worth a try:
you seem to be very educated when it comes to tractors, I was wondering if you know if there is a way on Kama tractors serial nr to tell wethjer its a grey import or US model??
Thanks ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login