Go Bottom

Drove a Liberty CRD

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-01          110582

I thought I'd make a brief post on my impressions on a first drive of a Jeep Liberty CRD.

I drove a Limited level CRD. The trim and vehicle in general is the same as a gas version, so I won't waste time on that.

The Motor started with a few seconds of wait with a small white puff. (45° outside) It idled smooth with some diesel rattle. More than my '01 TDI VW, but MUCH less than my '94 12v Cummins. After walking around the running vehicle and going over the exterior for about 5 minutes, the temp was fully up to operating levels, so I drove off.

The 5-speed auto is smooth and shifts nicely with out too much business. Acceleration was brisk and definitely adequate for urban traffic needs. It won't win many races, but pulls strong and smooth. Noise levels inside again fall between my TDI and 12v Cummins. If you are looking for silence, look elsewhere. If you don't mind a little rattle, you'll be fine. With the radio at a normal listening level, the motor sound nearly disappears. I would describe the acceleration performance as similar to my TDI, so it is no slouch. It would definitely eat my '86 VW diesel or my old '85 6.2 Blazer's lunch without a problem.

Overall I was pleased with the vehicle. Ride quality is okay, it is a short wheelbase SUV after all, and would be comfortable for most situations. I don't think I'd drive coast to coast with it, but a couple hours at a time would be alright. Ride is no different from the V-6 Libertys I've driven before.

BTW the sticker said 22/27 for fuel economy, if memory serves. Clean up the intake and exhaust a bit and this will rise for sure. (Too many resonators and silencers for my taste.)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Drove a Liberty CRD

View my Photos
cowpie1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-26          142488

I have an '06 Liberty CRD. Absolutely love the vehicle. I frequently tow with it.

I average about 27mpg overall. A little less when towing. I have had great results. I use it frquently aroung the farm to check on things and round up cattle. It is real good in snow and mud. I got 31.6 mpg a couple of weekends ago on a trip. That was with 4 adults and cargo.

Now that diesel is cheaper than gas, and that the gas Liberty's are lucky if they get 21 MPG, I am enjoying my CRD even more. I get quite a few looks when filling up at the diesel pump.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login