Go Bottom

Playon Streaming Netflix to Directv HD DVR

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-06          172847

I have been streaming Netflix to my Directv HD DVR using Media Malls "Playon" video streaming software on my desktop (I got it for $19.99). I bought Giga Ethernet switches and all my stuff is hard wired Ethernet, no wireless connections.

So to do it I have to be running my desktop with Playon passing my login to my Netflix account. On the DVR I go to Menu/Photos Media then Netflix etc.. You need to manipulate your Neflix playlist on you PC otherwise it is too slow on the DVR.

You can pause action, but there is no rewind or FF using the DVR setup. You would need a Roku box or smarter TV to do that.

Only thing that is a bit buggy, you have to select your Neflix movie at least twice before it will start... I am used to it now :(. Also I have found it best to not attempt to stop a show and try to reload it at the same point later. That feature works on a PC and the Roku but is not so reliable on the DVR.

I have a 5 year old desktop and a 10MB DSL connection and the pix quality is very good on a high end HD TV. I have even streamed Neflix onto my Laptop using a tethered connection to my cell phone, pretty amazing, and the quality is acceptable. Good entertainment when you are stuck at the airport!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Playon Streaming Netflix to Directv HD DVR

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-08-07          172884

Hey, am I the only one doing Netflix streaming or am I the last guy to learn how to do it :( ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login