Go Bottom

60 deck mm mower belt problem

View my Photos
auplater
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-01          113012

I've got a 7254 Compact with the 60" deck. Less than 100 hours on it, dealer has performed CPSC recall for transmission problem, and "worked on" the deck to fix a problem causing the belt to come off the pulleys and/or break. Problem is, the belt hopped off again, usually when first engaged with the electic switch. Deck starts with a quite a "thunk", pulls motor rpm way down, but then runs smoothly. The belt seems to always come off when first engaged, not while running.

Any thoughts or others having this problem?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-02          113017

R-U engaging mower at full throttle? Try it at idle.

Also the tension spring that takes up the shock on the belt may not be tight enough. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-02          113019

Good calls Harvey, the other thing to double check is that the belt pulleys and idler are straight. I've seen small sticks get under the idler and hold it from doing it's job. The electric PTO clutches do put a large shock on the system while starting as well as shutting down the attachments. They are a on or off only with nothing in between. ....

View my Photos
auplater

2005-07-02          113020

>>R-U engaging mower at full throttle? Try it at idle.

I've tried most all combinations of speed/engagement. Anthing much below the operating speed range on tach stalls the tractor. As for the tension spring, if it could be any tighter, I don't know how... any tricks to re-attaching that spring to the bolt rising out of the deck to hold it? It's so stiff, and hard to grasp that to strtch it and hook it over the stud is a MAJOR effort. (lots of busted knuckles and such).

All the idlers and pulleys run smooth and true. It would seem like some sort of "soft start" clutch would be in order for this deck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-07-02          113022

Just a thought, once a belt has rolled off or twisted they often will do it again. ....

View my Photos
auplater

2005-07-02          113027

Thanx for your input. I reset the belt using the original spring stud b4 the dealer set a new one with more tension... it seems to be staying in place now.. at least till the dealer picks it up tuesday to try something else. I'm not gonna mess much with it until the local dealer (and MTD) stop fixing it under warrenty.. which they've been more than willing to do so far. just wish they'd find a permanent fix.. hate to have to replace $40 belts every 50 hours of use :-( ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-07-04          113048

We just took one in that was from another dealer and we have no repair history on but looking at the deck the center hub was reinforced to the frame of the mower which might have been done to stop your problem. It will be a couple of weeks before we can get it in to check it over for resale. I'll try and see why the modification was made. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login