Go Bottom

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
cottondtx
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-12          129257

Hello everybody, i'm new to the forum and i have done some reading about PTO hp and was wondering if there was some formula to figure out what the PTO hp is. I have a Cub Cadet model 7260 that is gear drive, i know the engine is a 26hp mitsubishi but what i need to know is how to figure out the hp at the rear PTO. I'm looking to get a generator and i am trying to figure out what is the most kw generator i can run with my tractor. Thanks a lot.
BTW Great forum.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-12          129260

I don't think there is a set formula. The numbers we quote are what the manufacturers give us.

I have noticed recently that when someone markets a riding mower they are very careful to say that Briggs and Stratton or Kohler says the engine produces "X" horsepower.

My Deere has 24 HP at the engine and 20 at the PTO. I have seen recent Kubotas with 30 hp engines and only 22 at the PTO, so something isn't quite squared up here.

I could cite several other examples, but the point is unless you have access to a dynometer you only have what the owners manual tells you.

That said, I believe your tractor should run a 10KW gen set unless you live in Leadville CO at 11,000 feet. ....

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-12          129261

As a rule, you will require 2 pto hp for each Kilowatt capacity of the generator you will be running. In a gear drive tractor, hp loss to the pto is not much, typically around 1 - 3 hp. In my opinion you could probably run a 12 Kw generator max. and not over load the tractor. The Cub Cadet 7260 is listed at 23 pto hp. so 11.5 Kw. is what would be allowable if you can find a generator that size. Just calculate the total load you will be placing on the generator and do not exceed its or the tractor's capacity. Sometimes you can get a deal of a slightly larger generator than you need or the tractor can handle. So just be careful with the total electrical load you put on it. ....

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
cottondtx

2006-05-12          129262

Thank you for the information, I was told by a generetor manufacturer that they always figure that half of the hp will equal the number of kw the tractor will run, hence 13kw. ....

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-05-12          129263

The Cadet catalog at time of purchase rated the 7260 at 23 PTO HP at 2,600 RPM. ....

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
Billy

2006-05-12          129266

If you can get a good deal on a larger gen set, go for it. Larger KW gen sets are cheaper per KW than smaller ones. That doesn't mean you'll be able to use the full capacity of a larger gen set. Only that you'll be able to generate as many KW that your tractor is capable of.

For instance you have a 20 KW gen set that will deliver 20 KW at 540 PTO RPMs. Your tactor couldn't maintain the RPMs to use 20 KW of electricity but it should be able to maintain the RPMs to sustain 12 KW of usage. The 2 HP per KW is a fairly conservative rule. 1.75 HP per KW is more in line.

Oversizing a generator of this type could be to your advantage. You might, in the future, buy a larger tractor. ....

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
cottondtx

2006-05-12          129268

Let me get my facts straight, I've found a 13kw generator for a really good price, i'm thinking by what you fellas are telling me it would be ok to go ahead and get this one.
Also, what's the typical kw demand to run a little bit above 2600 square foot house?

Thanks to everybody, this is an awesome group. ....

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
Chief

2006-05-12          129269

You can get by powering your house with a generator and tractor set up such as this PROVIDED you carefully calculate the loads you will be powering. This will require a transfer switch panel so you can prioritize and isolate the appliances you want to power with the backup generator.

To power a 2,600 sq. ft. house without restriction on appliance usage and power consumption would very likely require and 20 Kw or even larger generator.

You want to select and prioritize the appliances you MUST run such as refridgerators, freezers, water heaters, well pumps, heat pumps/AC units. Just as an example; it is not out of reason for a water heater to consume 4500 watts. You can go figure more from there. ....

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
Billy

2006-05-12          129270

The KW demand is something you'll have to figure out on your own or have an electrician help you. It all depends on what you'll be running and how many things you'll be running at the same time. I would make a wild guess and say you could run your whole house at 12 KW but it like I said, I don't know what you'd be running. ....

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-12          129273

It isn't necessarily the square footage you need to consider. It is the number of high voltage appliances you must consider.

Look at things like well pumps, electric water heaters, heat pumps, electric stoves and electric clothes dryers.

If you have a lot of gas fired stuff you can get by on a much smaller generator.

I had to size my generator to make enough voltage to start and run a 2 HP deep well pump. ....

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
jimbrown

2006-05-12          129274

Electric power charts are all over the internet here is one that might give you an idea of yor needs

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/genwat.asp ....

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
cottondtx

2006-05-12          129275

Well i have natural gas, and i'm on a municipal water system, gas heater if it's winter,still the fan is electric, i think that during the summer in case of another hurricane, my main concern would just to run the a/c and fridge and freezer, and of course a few lighs, it was quite miserable last year with 14 people sleeping in my 24x24 living room with 2 window ac's, i actually have an electrician coming out today to check things out for me. ....

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-05-12          129276

If you go to Northerntool.com or honda they have published charts for running and starting wattages.

It takes about 2500/3000 watts to start a frig or freezer and about 700-800 to run.

I read that it takes about 12K or more to start central air for a 2200 sq. ft. home. Suggest seeing your label on the unit. Amps x volts = watts Usually this is a "run" value.

Small appliances take about 1500/1700 watts to start and usually 500 watts to run.

A 1/3 HP sump pump or furnace motor takes 1500/2000 to start and about 800 to run. A 1/2 HP takes about 2500/3000 to start and about 1000 watts to run.

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
cottondtx

2006-05-12          129277

Thanks a lot Jim, will have to do some reading....

PTO Horse Power

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-12          129281

Have you thought of using voltage converters that run off 12v car batteries? I considered using a generator for my construction company for running 9" grinders, 2hp compressor, and a 5.5 peak hp shop vac (not all at the same time). I ended up buying a 3500/5500 power convertor off e-Bay for less than $200 and installed it under my truck's passenger seat (it's about the size of a large phone book). Having this setup is very handy--I even run my electric impact wrench off it for road side repairs, or for camping. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login