Go Bottom

install mid pto

View my Photos
blackforrest
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-21          136172

Have a chance to pick up a cub 7233 at a good price. Great condition low hours ect. However no mid pto.
I understand one can be installed. Are these pto kits still available and is it something the "average" household mechanic can install. Also a friend has a cc7275
with a mid pto that is never going to be used. Can I take this mid unit and put it on the 7233? If not would anyone know the cost of the mid pto kit and once again the work involved?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

install mid pto

View my Photos
KonaCoffee

2008-12-28          158888

Hi:

I have a similar opportunity to install a mid-pto kit for my cub-cadet 7205 and am wondering how much of a challenge it is to install. I'm not up for splitting the tractor in half, but just about anything else would be OK.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can comment on the skill required to install one of these aftermarket.

Aloha! Jonathan ....

install mid pto

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-12-29          158896

Isn't it just a matter of finding a mower designed for the model in question? ....

install mid pto

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-12-29          158898

KonaCoffee,

Adding the mid-PTO is a fairly very simple task. It's about the same as adding a PTO output to a pickup's manual transmission.

There's a cover plate on the bottom of your tractor. That plate has to be removed. (The oil must be drained first)

The PTO kit comes with a gasket that goes in place of the cover plate and gasket you removed.

The hardest part is to ensure that you adjust for the proper backlash between the gears. This is accomplished with shims and a dial indicator. You don't want the meshing gears too tight, or it will cause metal wear and noise. You don't want the gears too far apart, as this will cause the meshing gears to slap and wear out rapidly.

The manufacturer should provide you with a spec sheet to follow. Adjust the gear mesh, using the shims provided, until the backlash in the gears is measured to fall within the specified range. (For example = .003"-.006")

In most cases you'll need a dial indicator, as well as a mounting system to hold the dial indicator in place while you take the measurements. Don't be surprised if you find that you'll have to remove and re-install the mid-PTO assembly several times, until you get the proper shims in place.

Once your backlash measurement falls within the specified range, you can then replace the oil.

Your tractor may be different. Not all manufactures provide shims. You may not need them at all. Every manufacturer provides its own spec sheets and installation instructions.

I hope that helps.

Joel

install mid pto

View my Photos
KonaCoffee

2009-01-04          159075

Hi Joel:

Thank you for the details! It sounds like it would be a bit of a challenge, but not unmanageable.

I crawled under the tractor tonight and found a plate on the bottom of the transmission, so I'm thinking that is the installation point. It's a bit further aft than I was expecting, and it was partially hidden by the towing tongue which is tucked underneath in the stored position.

If I could geta line on the deck mower (model 401 I believe) I'd probably go for this, but the mid-pto wouldn't be much good without the deck mower.

Thanks again!

Aloha! Jonathan ....

install mid pto

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-05          159080

Why not just get a rear 3-pt finish mower for half the price of the mid-PTO alone? ....

install mid pto

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-01-05          159085

A mower can be front, mid, rear, or tow-behind. Each has its pros and cons (I use them all and can get into that if interested), but you wonder about attaching. The last two present no attachment problems (though a small tractor with a very heavy rear mower might have trouble lifting it). Tow ones can be self-powered usually rotary, or ground-powered reel, and range from singles to gangs of any number, usually 3.

The first two are individualized to the tractor make and model. The issue rarely is enough room for the mower but the mechanism for carrying/lifting it and especially for getting the power to the pulleys. ....

install mid pto

View my Photos
KonaCoffee

2009-01-05          159110

Hi:

I currently have a flail mower on the three-point. The flail is great during the off season when I don't have to cut the grass in the orchard as often - I can let it get up to six feet tall before cutting and the flail does just fine.

During harvest season I need to keep the grass down short - under a foot - or the harvest crew gets grumpy; for this I could use the mid-mount mower and take the flail off freeing up the tow-hitch and the rear PTO for the spreader that I use to spread the mill pulp. I currently have to switch between the flail and spreader during harvest season.

I'm just trying to add another implement to the utility belt that is the tractor.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments!

Jonathan ....

install mid pto

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-01-06          159123

Among the variations for attaching and powering a front or MMM, some dedicated MMMs are attached to the 3-pt and driven off the PTO shaft, which would defeat your purpose. If so, you could get a rear finish mower. You could also get a quick-connect device, but they don't help with the PTO shaft. ....

install mid pto

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-01-06          159135

Kona Coffee (which is good),
before you spend money on a finish mower you be sure grass that grows 6 feet tall is grass you will be able to cut with a finish mower. It may be too large for a finish mower. ....

install mid pto

View my Photos
Murf

2009-01-06          159136

Might be a whole bunch easier in the long run to just turn the flail around, mount it on a lift/hitch like a snow plow and power it with it's own small horizontal shaft engine running through a 4:1 belt reduction.

It doesn't take much power to run a small mower like that, 12-14hp will probably be all you need.

That way the 3pth and PTO are always available.

Best of luck. ....

install mid pto

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-06          159141

My 6' 3-pt flail mower isn't good for anything over 6" tall. Grass/weeds tend to get wrapped around the rotor and it takes much more time to cut versus a rear finish mower.

That flail you have must be a flail chopper or hammer, not a mower per se.

I agree with Kenny that a MMM might be taxed cutting one-foot tall grass. A MMM might go through some serious and expensive drive belts. E

Even my 3-pt finish mower carries a decal that clearly states in big letters "FOR LAWN GRASS ONLY".

For very fast (highest gear range) cutting of 6' weeds I prefer a rotary cutter hands down.

install mid pto

View my Photos
KonaCoffee

2009-01-06          159143

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for the comments!

The grass in the orchard is Guinea or Cane grass, it's a clumping grass and when it's under a foot tall it is not bad at all, but you may be right that even at a foot tall it might be too much for a MMM. It is definitely not "lawn" grass.

My flail is a 48" Rear's Manufacturing SPF-PAK Flail mower. It has 12 pairs of J-shaped knives that hang from the center shaft. They have no problem dealing with the tall (6'+) grass - I just need to go slow. I also use it to mulch up the tree prunings each year - I just need to go slowly and let it digest. The only thing I've ever had it wrap around the shaft is irrigation poly pipe and a length of rope someone left hidden in the grass.

I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way I can mow, tow, and use my loader all without changing implements. Maybe too much to ask, but when I came across the mid-PTO kit it got me thinking.

Thanks again for the great input!

Aloha! Jonathan ....

Link:   Makahiki Farms 100% Kona Coffee

Go Top

Share This

Member Login