Go Bottom

Testing CC GT 2554 in the Snow

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-01-31          139416

Tried out my new Cub Cadet GT2554 in about 4" of wet slick snow.

I was pretty impressed with the traction the CC 2554 had in the snow especially since there aren't any attachments, extra weight or chains on it, just the rear ag tires.
Since I didn't have the blade on it I didn't plow any snow!
I was able to go about 30 feet up a pretty steep hill before the back wheels started spinning, but it was still climbing slowly, so I backed back down to the driveway.

My old Bolens 850 tractors with chains on turf tires and a 12" filled cement block on the back have very good traction, but I just know they would not go in the snow like the CC 2554 did if I took the chains and the cement block off of them.

How's That For Traction??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-31          139421

You didn't say what your driveway wasas to if it was blacktop but I've seen it often where turfs would be better without chains for traction. The Cadets have always had good traction compared to other makes for climbing. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-01          139438

There's a BIG difference between driving anything on snow and trying push that same snow on pavement or other surface. Pushing snow with a truck can be harder on the truck than pulling a big trailer.

Is your CUT 4wd? If so it shouldn't be a big deal to plow snow. 2wd could get dicey regardless of the weights on back

That said, congrats on your new purchase! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-02-01          139440

EW, it's not a CUT, it's large frame garden tractor.

GT = Garden Tractor, "GT2554" is Cub's designation for a 2500 series garden tractor, with a 54" deck, thus the name.

LB, if you think it has traction now, try swapping out those rear tires for an aggressive set of ATV tires.

Congrats on the new grass-getter!!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-02-01          139442

Murf: My bad. Sir, give me, sir fifty more lashings, sir. Thank you sir.

So GT doesn't stand for Great Tractor. I'll make a note of that, sir. Thank you sir. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-02-01          139448

Jeffy, you to wear your hat on in the sun again.

I'm no Cubbie garden (5) tractor expert, but I can cut & paste ok.

Google's a wonderful thing old son..... ;)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-02-01          139451

Murf: I knew that would get a rise outta ya--jis' kiddin' ya. Don't wanna anger THE "Moderator" hahahahaha

Oh yeah, and my bud back home said he'll bring the manlfit down (for the cost of fuel--- kewl!)---so you're off the hook THIS time. BUT that still leaves the dump truck, motor grader, backhoe, and something else I'm forgetting.

Now where's that dang hat... ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-02-02          139483

There's a big difference between driving anything on snow and trying to push that same snow on pavement or other surface

~~~~~~~~~~~

But isn't it logical that the tractor with the best traction for just driving in snow would also have the best traction for pushing snow with a front blade?

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-02-02          139484

LB, if you think it has traction now, try swapping out those rear tires for an aggressive set of ATV tires.

Would these ATV tires really have more traction than AG tires?

View my Photos
Murf

2007-02-02          139485

First of all, the amount of traction has more to with what you are doing, than what you are doing it with.

Don't forget, normally when you are plowing or blowing snow, you are driving in an already cleared area.

Traction in snow or on ice is developed by the edges of the tread bars meeting the ground. The more edges you have, the more traction you get. That is why on cleared areas or ice, turf tires will far better traction than any other type of tire will. Ag tires develop their traction by sinking the bars down into the soil and having something to push against. With frozen ground you lose all of that advantage.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-02-02          139487

Brown what Murf is referring to with ATV tires is that typically they have a flatter-profiled tread (more surface area) and more gripping bars (surface area) that are sometimes offset or arranged in a pattern such that they offer superior gripping. And most have gripping bars on the sidewalls offering even more traction.

Here's a definition of traction I got off Google:
"The amount of forward thrust that a wheel can provide before it slips. It is the product of the weight bearing down on the wheel (generally 25 per cent of the vehicle weight on a level road) and the coefficient of friction, which depends on the nature of the tyre and the surface of the road. Traction helps determine the steepest road a vehicle can climb."

As far as my comment about driving on snow and traction on same here's the distintion: drivablity or the ability to make locomotion are not the same as traction. A lot depends on the type of snow, ambient temp, if it has a frozen crust, if it has melted and then frozen, or if it's just the light fluffy stuff, etc., etc.. On some types of snow you don't need a lot of "traction" if you can get on top of it, or power through it.

Getting into "traction", in cases where say, car tires are used they can provice superior traction to a big, burly 4wd truck style tire because of the car tire's ability to pick up and hold snow in between the voids in the tread. As the tire rotates, the snow in the tire tread actually sticks to the snow on the pavement, which is why some tires tires work great on ice and some don't--it's not always the rubber compound. And I didn't even touch on tire siping.

Traction can be a function of many things. Weight is one as mentioned above. Type of surface, its texture and composition are another. Type of tire is another big factor such as how many traction bars versus few, how big the bars are and the composition.

Here's another way of looking at it: If you were walking on ice you could walk on it with most any type of shoe. Your traction is very minimal (gravity is more likely the reason you're able to walk), or rather, adequate or sufficent for locomotion. Now, I have placed a heavy box on a table placed on the ice. I ask you pick it up and walk with it. Yeah, the box is a little heavy but you're still able to walk without slipping your feet. Gravity at work here. Put the box down and try to push it across the ice. This is where traction comes into play. You'll find that it's now your weight pushing horizontally against another weight and so your feet start to slip.

Clear as icey mud?

Go Top

Share This

Member Login