Go Bottom

Howdy and a question

View my Photos
coopkc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-14          148231

Howdy all, new to the forums.

I just bought a new house that has about an acre but it's heavily wooded. I figure I'll need a riding mower.

I came across a Cub Cadet 2206 with only about 180 hours on it. I want a mower with a shaft drive to the transmission, because I may also try to put a snow blade on it.

The dealer said the 2500 series of accessories will fit the 2206. Question is would it be big enough to handle the job? I.E. is it big enough to fall into the garden tractor side, or is it small enough to be just a lawn tractor? It's got the 20 hp engine.

Thanks,

Coop

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Howdy and a question

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-14          148242

Coop,

Do you ever foresee a time when you might need a tractor to help clear some of those trees, or to run a chipper to help rid the yard of fallen branches --- or even to haul that wood to the house for nearly free home heating?

I only ask because I was once in your shoes. I found that my lawn mower was just that.....and it was good for nothing else.

After many years of struggling to handle most chores by hand, my spine began yelling at me. A real tractor was something I was going to need, especially since all of my kids were growing up and leaving home.

My tractor doesn't exactly replace my son and his friends, but I can't imagine living without my tractor and loader now.

Before you spend even one dollar on a mowing machine, please look ahead and plan for the future. I tell you this from experience.

You'd be surprised at how little difference in price there is between a lawn mower and a real tractor. And though the tractor will be more expensive, you won't need a large one.

Joel ....

Howdy and a question

View my Photos
kleinchris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-14          148261

coopkc,
I know you came here for one piece of advice... and you might not end up with a real direct answer. I'm afraid I wouldn't recomennd a garden tractor to anybody except a home owner with say, a half acre lot... because... I think that with your wooded area, and a full acre to contend with, you would probably out grow the little guy. Or, even if you didnt, you may never get to the jobs a larger machine would let you get to.
My only direct sugestion would be, when looking around, look a little harder at machines with a catagory 1 3 point hitch. This will buy you more possibilities (outside of mowing) in the future.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login