Go Bottom

Cub 1320 Hydro Stuck

View my Photos
jhelmick
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-05-17          153752

Tractor will not move forward or backward, I can hear a slight load on the hydrostat when I move the lever but no movement. Also when I push the Hydro dump lever to push the hydro is locked up as well. Is there a way to check oil, my manual says nothing, but what appears to be a fill cup is completely dry.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cub 1320 Hydro Stuck

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-05-18          153760

I'm not too familliar with the Cub's but most hydro drives are basicly the same design. In most any system requiring fluid you would have had a jerky and noisy period as the system ran low on fluid because of some air being drawn into the suction tube as the fluid level ran low. Do check your fluid level, somewhere there is a dipstick or a visual indicator of somekind on it. Being you hear a slight engine load as the hydro lever is advanced I sooner suspesct that something has happend in the transmission behind the hydro. Does the hydro drive the transmission direct with a shaft or is there a belt between the hydro unit and the transmission that could be broken? Good luck. Frank. ....

Cub 1320 Hydro Stuck

View my Photos
jhelmick

2008-05-18          153765

It is a belt driven hydro and seems to be turning the hydro just fine, I dont see a dip stick or any way to check the fluid, maybe its buried somewhere and I will have to look harder ....

Cub 1320 Hydro Stuck

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-18          153766

Jhelmick,

I agree with Frank. I suspect that your fluid is low.

Did you have it running at all yet this Spring? If not, I would be highly suspicious of water in the hydro reservoir.

If you haven't changed your hydraulic fluid in quite some time, it's possible that it is now contaminated with water, which naturally condenses in the fluid reservoir over time.

Depending upon the age of your machine, you may want to do a complete service of the hydro system. Drain all of the fluid. Change any and all filters. Refill the system with new hydro oil. You'll have to refer to your manual for the proper type of oil to use in your tractor.

Many lawn tractors use a straight #10 weight, NON-detergent motor oil for the hydraulic drive system, but yours may be different.

Joel ....

Cub 1320 Hydro Stuck

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-19          153788

Flip up the seat. At the left rear corner of the seat mounting frame attaching it to the body of the tractor is a hole and you can see the dipstick. I agree what was said, it probably is low or should be changed ....

Cub 1320 Hydro Stuck

View my Photos
jhelmick

2008-05-19          153789

I removed the seat/fender assy to access the hydro, I find no dipstick, only a plastic cup with an oil level indication on it. The cup was dry and looked like it has been that way for some time, I unscrewed the cup from the Hydro and there is oil at that point. What I dont understand is, When I push the Hydro dump lever to push the tractor the tires will not turn as if the hydro is locked up. I suspect something "inside" the Hydro is bad, One site I saw the 1320 Cub Hydro is the weak link in the drive train. ....

Cub 1320 Hydro Stuck

View my Photos
yooperpete

2008-05-19          153792

The cub hydro is the strongest link in the entire drivetrain. A garden tractor pulls at local county fairs, it was run by a 3.4 liter blown V-6.

If the hydro is operating correctly, it is very difficult to push or move while not running. You are not supposed to push them far or at any great speed or else the back pressure build-up will destroy it.

You should have been able to see a plastic cap behind the seat that had a dipstick on it. It sounds like the fluid level is low. There also is a filter under the tractor. If it hasn't been changed in a long time, it may be clogged. I have yet to here of a hydro that failed. Usually it is something else that is simple. ....

Cub 1320 Hydro Stuck

View my Photos
jhelmick

2008-05-19          153793

My CC 1811 has the hydro you are talking about with the filter front bottom, right below the drive shaft and a dipstick on the top under the seat. This model "1320" Says Cub Cadet on the tractor and on the axle tube, But I think it is built by MTD or someone like that, It definitely has no dipstick or filter, only the cup with a fill mark, It is belt drivin from the top side. ....

Cub 1320 Hydro Stuck

View my Photos
yooperpete

2008-05-19          153796

Sorry if I led you astray. I've had 1450's, 1650's, 782's, 1862 and an 1864 with them all with dipstick and filter in the same place. The 1450 & 1650 where yellow and white and built by international. The 782's are red and say International but were the first built by MTD back in 1980. The 1450 & 1650 were mid-70's. The 1862 & 1864 were early 90's, built and sold by cub-cadet with yellow and white paint. With there changing numbering scheme, I'm not sure of your model. ....

Cub 1320 Hydro Stuck

View my Photos
jhelmick

2008-05-19          153797

No problem, I knew what you were referring to. I think this model was new in the mid to late 90's, Not for sure I bought it used. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login