Go Bottom

New Member with Cub questions needs your help 3206 vs SLTX1054

View my Photos
toddolie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-30          161517

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a Cub Cadet for limited commercial use. I should specify residential lawns that I will mow in my spare time to make some side $ with my son.

How long ago did Cub Cadet stop being the Cub Cadet from years ago? Weren't they sold and are now a brand produced by another manufacturer?

I have a line on a 2002 3206 model that was purchased new as a dealer holdover in late 2003 with the 54" deck and 390 hours on it. I am interested in your opinions on the hours on this machine for $2000 vs. a brand new Home Depot stocked SLTX1054 for $2600.00 plus tax. Anyone here have one of the SLTX1054's?

I have also looked at the Husqvarna LGT 2554 at Lowe's. Are these units any less quality than what a dealer stocks? I assume they have less features like no power steering, shaft drive etc?

I have only ever had Craftsmen riders in the past which served the purpose well but are not quality machines I know.

I appreciate any insight you can offer. I like the 50 and 54" decks for faster cutting time.

Thanks!

Todd

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-30          161521

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddolie | view 161517
Hello,I am looking at purchasing a Cub Cadet for limited commercial use. ...... I have only ever had Craftsmen riders in the past which served the purpose well but are not quality machines I know.

Sorry Todd, but Craftsman and Cub are the same company. MTD Products have been making Cub Cadet for nearly 30 years now. They also make the Craftsman series of riders sold through Sears.

Husqvarna still build their own stuff as far as I know.

As I always advise people, a used TRUE commercial mower will be about the same $$$ as a new consumer (residential, homeowner call it what you want) mower, but IMHO will do a better job for many years longer.

It will also mow much faster than nearly any 'homeowner' mower will and will be more comfortable doing it.

Do yourself a favour and at least look at the used stuff and skip the residential stuff for commercial use.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-30          161524

It is my understanding Husky is the same regardless who sells it. So is price. So why buy from someone who will not service it? Only connection I have to Husky is a hedge trimmer I own. ....

View my Photos
toddolie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-30          161526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 161521
Sorry Todd, but Craftsman and Cub are the same company. MTD Products have been making Cub Cadet for nearly 30 years now. They also make the Craftsman series of riders sold through Sears.Husqvarna still build their own stuff as far as I know.As I always advise people, a used TRUE commercial mower will be about the same $$$ as a new consumer (residential, homeowner call it what you want) mower, but IMHO will do a better job for many years longer.It will also mow much faster than nearly any 'homeowner' mower will and will be more comfortable doing it.Do yourself a favour and at least look at the used stuff and skip the residential stuff for commercial use.Best of luck.

I think the 3206 is just a heavier duty, read not commercial estate type lawn tractor, offering hydraulic lift, power steering, shaft drive etc. I was just wondering if I should be concerned with a unit that has 400 hours on it, or consider a brand new one even without the other niceties?

For the amount I plan to use it, it should perform well for a long time. I just don't want a zero turn or stand up true commercial mower for the task.

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-30          161528

My point was just that an apple is an apple.

It doesn't matter what number is on the hood, it is made by the same nice people who make the Craftsman tractors you already know about. It's just a different colour.

Generally speaking, heavy duty or not has little to do with the quality of the product.

Look at something like a Ferris ProCut 3 wheel rider. A VERY dependable basic unit that will cut the grass quick for a lot of years.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2009-03-30          161530

When you say the the word "commercial" for lawn cutting, if you are serious you really should be talking a zero radius rider and or walk behind. The crews around here have a couple of each on their trailers, simply the fastest highest quality cut you can get. In lawn cutting time is money.

If this is just to cut your lawn, and then have your son cut a neighbors lawn once in a while the lawn tractor might be good enough.

I used to use Scag mowers years ago, I mow with my Kubota B7610 tractor with 60 inch deck and I like it as I have one machine to do snow, dirt and grass, the cut is good the speed is OK for me, but the zero's do the lawn better hands down. ....

Picture Link

View my Photos
Art White

2009-04-04          161705

There are differences in the units at Sears vs the Cadets and the 3206 is a true garden tractor and they have been up a good unit. The other other unit mentioned is a lawn tractor no matter how you spell it.

Used to sell Husky's, Cadets are better made and gave them up as we were tired of fixing them. No major one thing breaking just everything except the engines. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login