Go Bottom

pto locks up after use

View my Photos
royboy63
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-09-25          165945

after running my belly mower for about 30 min it will lock up and kill the engine if you disengage the pto the engine runs fine any feed back welcome. 128 hours on tractor

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

pto locks up after use

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-09-26          165950

Sounds to me like the PTO gearbox on the mower is siezing--bad bearings, and/or the mower blade spindle(s) are siezing. The problem isn't the tractor. Have you checked the oil in the PTO gearbox? ....

pto locks up after use

View my Photos
royboy63

2009-09-26          165952

oil level is ful, in the gear box . spindles are greased and turn freely, ....

pto locks up after use

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-09-26          165953

The problem could be in the PTO or the implement. You could get a hint by, after the seizing, disconnecting the PTO and see if it turns freely. But if you could borrow another implement, you would know for sure within the hour. Attachments that use the PTO are (besides another mower) a rototiller, snow blower, or hole auger. ....

pto locks up after use

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-09-26          165954

That Cub is technically a SCUT, right? Electric PTO clutches? Assuming the belly mower blades can be turned with the mid-PTO disengaged, I'm thinkin' maybe the mid-PTO clutch could be overheating. With only 128 hours, are you still under warranty?

//greg// ....

pto locks up after use

View my Photos
royboy63

2009-09-26          165955

no warranty left, p t o inner and outer shafts sound unhealthy clicking ....

pto locks up after use

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-09-26          165957

Quote:
Originally Posted by royboy63 | view 165955
p t o inner and outer shafts sound unhealthy clicking
Not quite sure what that means. Is it the actual shaft(s) that is/are making the noise? or the CV joints at the end(s)? It would help if you would confirm you have electric PTO clutches, and whether or not the belly mower blades turn freely with the mid-PTO disengaged.

//greg// ....

pto locks up after use

View my Photos
royboy63

2009-09-26          165958

blades do turn freely, output shafts for deck and rear attachments are noisy, it must be an electric pto clutch i have not got into rearend to see whats going on bearing wise etc just scoping the possibilities of what could be. ....

pto locks up after use

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-26          165959

Other than your belly mower what else do you use the tractor for? Do ever run it as hard as mowing for as long and does it work ok then?

Has it being doing this long? Did it ever run with out this problem while useing the mower? Just a thought, is the deck height being changed at the time the binding is happening? Are you sure the pto shaft is not too long and binding? If the pto shaft joints are clicking sounds like an issue there due to either wear or lack of grease or both. ....

pto locks up after use

View my Photos
bigangelman

2010-04-21          170186

I have the same model tractor as you and had the same problems. If you can do the labor on your tractor yourself and can find someone to rebuild the hydrostatic pump just the parts alone will run $1,000. There are several design flaws in this model (52xx & 62xx series) There are some casting bumps under where the electric pto clutch attaches to the inside of the transaxle. These need to be filed down smooth or the vibration wears through the clutch and shorts it out. There is a new design baffle plate for the return oil into the case. There is also a spline joint where the metal was not properly hardened. The top output shaft of the hydrostatic pump mates up to the shaft that provides auxillary hydraulic & pto power. Cub does not have repair parts for the hydro pump, so you need to find someone after you get it out and identify the pump that can replace the top shaft. Cub will sell you a new pump for about $1400. But the only thing wrong with mine was the spline had worn out. The replacement parts from cub come through with a revised design which will cause you to buy a new gear to drive the aux. hydro pump. This is a very involved repair and will require to to make or buy several special tools just to get things apart. My thoughts were when I was doing this repair on my tractor was to get it fixed and dump the tractor. I needed it for snow removal and have been using it since and now feel confident it will work for a good long time before any other major repairs.

Tom

pto locks up after use

View my Photos
royboy63

2010-10-19          174669

sir i would really like to discuss my pto problems with my cub #6284 yes its time to repair i'm tired of it sitting in the garage. t t y l

pto locks up after use

View my Photos
bigangelman

2010-10-20          174673

This site makes it impoosible to send you a message unless I am a paid member and not using gmail. which the site itself uses gmail. So royboy use my nickname on ebay and send me a message.

Thanks
tom ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login